PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
How and How often to the cob smokers here clean your pipes? I just run a few cleaners with alcohol thru them and a paper towel soaked in alcohol inside the bowl when I feel the need and have the time. So far seems to be working but wondering if anyone else has any other methods that work for them?

FYI, I normally smoke anywhere from 5-12 bowls a day in one pipe and then switch to another pipe the next day.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
I just run a cleaner through the stem to revive the black char. 5-12 bowls a day? a man after my own heart

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Alcohol in the bowl? I would think that would add a level of moisture that you wouldn't want especially after 5 to 12 bowls. How many pipes in your rotation? I ask because I only had 5 pipes in mine while doing the same thing (pertaining to work load) while resting them on the weekends with briars and 3 of the 5 cobs came down with soggy bottom syndrome. I'm going to pipe mud them when they are dry but it's been 2 months now and I'm still waiting. I am a clencher, however, and I end up with a lot of saliva down into the pipe so that might be (probably is) a big part of my problem.
But to answer your question, I usually have to chip clean the draught hole with the poker on my Czech tool then use pipe cleaners. It's gets the usual alcohol treat about once a month but it's been a while because I am have tired/lazy.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
to be clear i put some alcohol on the paper towel and wipe out the bowl then use another paper towel to dry it when deep cleaning

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Ok, gotcha. Like I said, I've had issues with moisture build up (as stated above) so I was wondering. Have you ever had a soggy bottom cob issue? Curious about the time frame. Two months seems an awful long time.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Only soggy bottom bowl problem I had was a cob I purchased thinking I was buying a MM Cob and it ended up being a Chinese POS cob pipe. Never had a problem with my MM Cobs

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm not a big fan of cobs, but if folks enjoy them they should smoke them.

Two observations, which are both a matter of opinion:
  • 1) Alcohol is hygroscopic, and readily takes up moisture. So it doesn't contribute to the problem, it solves it.

2) Moisture accumulating in the pipe is far more likely to come from condensation than drool -- even for clenchers.

...get a new cob and try to force saliva into the stem -- intentionally. Not so easy to do.
...my 2¢

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
That's more cleaning than I do with my cobs, then, again, I don't smoke 12 bowls a day. Mostly I just run a cleaner through the stem and wudge (new word I learned from another post) the bowl with a paper towel. Eventually, I'll use some alcohol on the stem, but certainly not after every smoke.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
2) Moisture accumulating in the pipe is far more likely to come from condensation than drool
This has been my personal experience too.
My cobs get a pipe cleaner through the stem, and a quick wipe of the bowl with a paper towel at the end of the day. I smoke 5-6 bowls per day, with a three day rotation for cobs. Though I also get in one brier pipe full each day.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I do pretty much the same thing. Pipe cleaner through the stem and pretty much don't do anything to the bowl until the cake gets in the way of the tamper. Then I sand the cake down some with sandpaper.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
While on the topic of cobs, guys, does anyone use the medico filters that come with them? I always take mine out, preferring the more open draw.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Like Mr Fisher, I smoke a lot of cons. And like Mr Fisher, mine get only a couple pipe cleaners through the stem. I'll also fold the cleaners in half and wipe out the bowl. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.