PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Use hard red nail varnish. Measure one inch from the tip and then wrap some masking tape around the stem. Paint the mouthpiece with hard finish nail varnish or something a bit sparkly if you are that way inclined. Let it set hard over night. Remove the tape and voila you have a perfect non stick mouthpiece. This will save you from developing lip cancer which was common with 19th century clay pipe smokers due to the constant tearing of the lips skin from adhering to porous clay pipes. Victorian clays usually had glazed mouthpieces and all clays made by Pollocks of Manchester had glazed red or yellow or green tips. Some 19th century manufacturers varnished their pipes mouthpieces with an off red varnish. I came across a few originals when I renovated my 19th century cottage in the U.K back in the early 1990s that had slipped between the wall and the skirting boards that had this type of finish.
Have you tried cleaning any of these pipes with varnished mouthpieces, I mean in hot coals? Does it melt/burn off ?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I wouldn't stick them in hot coals if you have varnished the mouthpiece. The short 'Cutty' clay pipes you can probably use a thin Falcon pipe cleaner on, anything else is in my opinion is not cleanable and from my experience never lasted long enough in one piece to worry about cleaning. In the early 1980s I would go through a box of Pollock clays each month. In those days I was paying £10 for a box of mixed clays numbering about 100 pipes that arrived all packed in sawdust. In don't think anything survived long enough to be pitched into the fire coals for cleaning although I have done it but only with the pipes with glazed mouthpieces and if my memory serves me correctly it had the effect of removing the red or yellow glaze.

Last edited:

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I wouldn't stick them in hot coals if you have varnished the mouthpiece. The short 'Cutty' clay pipes you can probably use a thin Falcon pipe cleaner on, anything else is in my opinion is not cleanable and from my experience never lasted long enough in one piece to worry about cleaning. In the early 1980s I would go through a box of Pollock clays each month. In those days I was paying £10 for a box of mixed clays numbering about 100 pipes that arrived all packed in sawdust. In don't think anything survived long enough to be pitched into the fire coals for cleaning although I have done it but only with the pipes with glazed mouthpieces and if my memory serves me correctly it had the effect of removing the red or yellow glaze.
Thanks! I was wondering what would happen to those glazed mouthpieces too. Now I know

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@condorlover1 I need to get a few packets some of the thin Falcon pipe cleaners when I go to Buxton next week. Wow you got through a box of Pollock pipes a month - more than me!

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I've never cleaned any of my clay pipes (I have 4 or so) more than giving them a swish out with a pipe cleaner after a bowl and running the occasional thin pipe cleaner or a dedicated piece of stiff wire down the stem to remove any stray dottle.

I suppose some day I'll make a fire in the firepit and toss in a clay to see how it goes, but I really don't see the need - the color it takes on through smoking is part of the clay's charm.

Reactions: The Clay King

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I've never cleaned any of my clay pipes (I have 4 or so) more than giving them a swish out with a pipe cleaner after a bowl and running the occasional thin pipe cleaner or a dedicated piece of stiff wire down the stem to remove any stray dottle.

I suppose some day I'll make a fire in the firepit and toss in a clay to see how it goes, but I really don't see the need - the color it takes on through smoking is part of the clay's charm.
I like the colors too, but I’ve found that once a clay gets saturated with oils and tars, it loses a lot of its ability to absorb moisture—and that ability is for me one of the advantages of clay. So when mine gets dirty, into the coals it goes