PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I want to use a slightly abrasive cloth to keep oxidation at bay with my vulcanite stems. I would appreciate any recommendations and/or opinions. I've tried toothpaste,etc. I'm not talking about restoring but maintaining! My mouth chemistry seems to leave even a new stem susceptible to a brown haze at the end of the stem. I guess I'm a bit anal about this, but the pipe smokers of yesteryear didn't seem to give a rat's ass about it.
Oil doesn't seem to work.
Toothpaste doesn't work.
Micro mesh is too extreme.
Silicone cloths don't work for me.
Help!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Best one I’ve found:

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I have a similar problem. The Vulcanite dulls at the bite zone. I use a dab of Simichrome polish on a cloth to polish the stem. Wipe off the excess, and apply a tiny amount of Paragon wax as a seal.
Does Simachrome have abrasive? I've used Flitz but that just shines whatever is already there. Perhaps I'm trying to make vulcanite behave like acrylic in my anality? Maybe I just need a psychiatrist.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Simachrome that I’ve used does but that may not be what @sablebrush52 is using. Plus my experience is from more than 20 years ago.
Simichrome is a polishing paste for metal and not considered an abrasive nor is it considered toxic. I clean it well off when done. It contains ammonium oleate, which is used in soaps, solvents, and other cleaning products.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Simichrome is a polishing paste for metal and not considered an abrasive nor
FYI from manufacturer just to clarify: Simichrome is specially-formulated using the finest micron particle size abrasive of any polish available combined with special cleaning agents. Because the abrasive particles are so fine, Simichrome will not harm uncoated metals surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.