Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
Exactly. The ones I mention above can be used for canning so they would work fine, besides the space issue I noted and costing much more than regular ball jars. I cringe to think how much I spent on jars that I don’t even use now.
So it was simply space that drove you to change to ball jars?

Reactions: BlueMaxx

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So it was simply space that drove you to change to ball jars?
Exactly.
also to break it up into even smaller jars as @rushx9 is describing. I use a lot of half pint jars. But also pint jars for 1/2 lb of flake and for aros.
In the future I can break down any bigger jars into smaller once they are opened.

I don’t know how many lbs in jars I have now, but enough to where if I didn’t have them in ball jars and still in bale top I’d be out of room.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
IMG_1796.jpeg

I use my vegetable canning set funnel and use widemouth 16oz jars.
I do so because I purchase a lot of bulk and usually get 4oz at a time and that fits, barely, into that jar.
You can get them on sale under 5 bucks for four.

8 oz Jar (Half-Pint)16 oz Jar (Pint)
2 oz of Tobacco4 oz of Tobacco

I am also in the process of putting up the Michaels soda crate method for storing opened regular 2oz tins.

I also wash them and then set the oven to 220 and let them set in 20 minutes for sterilization.

Some folks think this is an unnecessary step, but if I ain't got looks, I do have time.
So it is no big deal.

The one you see with the bail cap lid is a blend I smoke a lot of...I found a set for cheap at a local antique store and bought some rubber seals but it still is not airtight. But it sets on the desk where I do clockwork and I get in it quite often...and it is a fairly rudimentary blend drugstore style that I do not care too much if the moisture content goes south...I just do not keep it up to the brim...I fill from the sealed bulk container as needed.

If you jar them in a new Ball jar with fresh lid, you can really tighten them down.
So much so that when I go back for one I haven't used in awhile you have to pry the lid off.

It is not pressure canned, but it is airtight.

Here is another great resource you may take a look at...good tips on cellaring and if you want to take it to the next level and print labels for the Ball jar lids.....thank goodness KBV sends some with their blends.

Just my 2 cents...and I am pretty new at this so I would take my advice/method with a grain of salt.

M

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I'm glad to read this thread, as just this past weekend someone from Lewiston posted a bunch of jars on Craigslist going for free, and judging from the pictures about half of them are glass-lid bail-top jars, the rest don't even remotely resemble the shape of the Ball brand jars (other than being round).

[screw-top jelly? peanut butter? some other product jars?]

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
I'm glad to read this thread, as just this past weekend someone from Lewiston posted a bunch of jars on Craigslist going for free, and judging from the pictures about half of them are glass-lid bail-top jars, the rest don't even remotely resemble the shape of the Ball brand jars (other than being round).

[screw-top jelly? peanut butter? some other product jars?]

My parents grew up during the depression....you wouldn't dare throw out an empty jelly or pickle or whatever glass jar it was.

I got a shed full of Mason, Ball and who knows what else...I saw one with the old white Peter Pan lid filled with screws in the shed the other day.

You cannot pressure can with them, but you can save them!

Mom, who is 92, is out putting a row of corn in right now...still using the old hand plow.

They don't make them like that anymore..

Also, I may be wrong, but the bail style lid was never meant for pressure canning.....I think it was the development of rubber that allowed folks to can their veggies and what not under pressure for longer keeping.
You could reuse the jar and simply purchase new seal lids the next year.

Well, back to chorin'

M

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I use several "latch-tops," as I call them, but I shouldn't. They are a little better than just an open tin or pouch, but not as good as most of the tubs, and not as good as Mason or Ball canning jars. I'm not up with "best practices," except occasionally by mistake.

God bless BlueMaxx's mom out planting corn, into her tenth decade. If she is not immortal, she comes close.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
I use several "latch-tops," as I call them, but I shouldn't. They are a little better than just an open tin or pouch, but not as good as most of the tubs, and not as good as Mason or Ball canning jars. I'm not up with "best practices," except occasionally by mistake.

God bless BlueMaxx's mom out planting corn, into her tenth decade. If she is not immortal, she comes close.

Totally! BlueMaxx’s Mum is awesome! My sister in laws Mum just topped one of the laying hens we have here and proceeded to fit it in the kitchen while I was eating breakfast. Which was fine until the smell hit me toward the end of my oats. Tough old things they are!!!

Anyway, I am wondering if u have noticed tobacco drying in your clip lid jars ba your mason jars?

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Thanks folks...this December she will be 93!
She is tougher than new rope I tell ya....her garden is her love...she is always amazed at how planting a seed and some hard work bestows a blessing bounty.
Say's if she quits working shell die!
She gets up and goes everyday, mowing grass, her flower garden...tuck pointing...you name it.
Dad and mom built this place in 1947 all by themselves...dad was not too long back from the war....all the stonework they did themselves...and here she is picking up rocks and mortaring a wall that the mortar had become loose...

And just try and help her...she will tell ya straight away "I want it does this way so just let me do it".

She is slowing down though...so I pick up the slack....we mused the other day about how my pipe smoking reminded her of her dad...I reminded her about the one piece I got from grandpa, an old hobo pipe stand...

Ok, sorry for the derail....but all I learned from caning was from mom and dad.

IMG_1999.jpeg
IMG_1995.jpeg

IMG_1681 (1).jpeg

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I use a few large and I mean huge bail jars for my daily smokes. Tobacco is never in there long enought to be an issue. Only other thing I have in a bail is some 2017 Sleepy Hollow that only gets opened once a year to refill a mason jar. That Sleepy Hollow is in perfect smoking condition still but it is some heavily cased shit of course.

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
hey, guys, I'd like to understand. I have a lot of fido for plugs and some bulk tobacco. i keep them in the basement in the fresh cellar and I didn't notice any losses, and now I wonder, these rubber-lining muffles keep them for 15 to 20 years? some of my friends found dry tobacco like straw inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.