PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

autocannon

Lurker
Jul 29, 2012
Indian Trail, NC
IMG_20210329_011640.jpg
I only have one pipe at the moment so if I want to have more than one fill a day I place the pipe upside down on the top of my PC which has a huge fan venting the warm air. Is this going to damage my pipe? The fans are pretty large but slow (700 rpm).

• Love
Reactions: fightnhampster

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It might, but I will defer to the more experienced pipe smokers on here. I've never had an issue just being patient and letting it air dry the old fashioned way, even back when I had only one pipe.
Never had an issue being patient either. Briar is so absorbent that even after the water rinse cleaning method it didn't take hours on end to dry. An hour or so at room temperature should suffice.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Briar isn't very absorbent at all... moisture penetrates to the depth of a few microns. Any built up cake will hold more moisture, but my pipes are usually dry enough to reload after several minutes.

Unless the air temp coming out of the tower is blast furnace hot I seriously doubt there will be any adverse effect.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
View attachment 72780
I only have one pipe at the moment so if I want to have more than one fill a day I place the pipe upside down on the top of my PC which has a huge fan venting the warm air. Is this going to damage my pipe? The fans are pretty large but slow (700 rpm).
They made these for that purpose.

briar-dryer-tobacco-pipes_1_71dee5e48347dc52a2e5ccf9760d0b93.jpg

Briar is very dense and non absorbent so days and weeks of resting are unnecessary. Wipe out the chamber and keep the airway clean after each smoke and you're pipe will be ready to smoke many times/day.

Mar 1, 2014
The shank is likely to change shape if you dry the pipe with the stem removed.
Wood is a highly unpredictable organic material.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Briar isn't very absorbent at all... moisture penetrates to the depth of a few microns. Any built up cake will hold more moisture, but my pipes are usually dry enough to reload after several minutes.

Unless the air temp coming out of the tower is blast furnace hot I seriously doubt there will be any adverse effect.
True.

Even after a full hot water rinse/flush, I can smoke right away after toweling the chamber and pipe cleaner through the airway. (I think the poster forgot to put in a negative.)

Also if you smoke to the bottom, the heat drives out residual moisture, so the pipe doesn't need time to dry.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Probably works fine. There is likely a best drying time. If you left it there overnight, it might dry out the briar more than is optimal, but I think that's overthinking. However, I think you should have three pipes, cobs if cost is a consideration, just for best smoking experiences.