PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Do you bite or just let the pipe hang sort of lose between the teeth?

@didimauw and @Briar Tuck responded in another thread about this second way to clench--if I understand right.

I've been scared of dropping my pipe while walking if I just hang it loosely in mouth. I gotta "man up" and learn this way I guess. My jaws get tired with any pipe over 40 grams or over 5" long. This way might let me smoke heavier pipes (which I LOVE) and longer pipes more easily. Thanks for the tip!

Wondering about your experiences clenching
kindly
mike

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not sure if it makes sense, but.. End of the stem has button, I park the button on upper teeth, and rest the button on lower lips with tongue resting behind the lip. It's secure enough for short walk. Rarely put both upper and lower teeth on the stem, but when more secure hold is needed, I do it without actually biting. Just put them behind the button so pipe doesn't drop.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Not sure if it makes sense, but.. End of the stem has button, I park the button on upper teeth, and rest the button on lower lips with tongue resting behind the lip. It's secure enough for short walk. Rarely put both upper and lower teeth on the stem, but when more secure hold is needed, I do it without actually biting. Just put them behind the button so pipe doesn't drop.
That's a better explanation than I could have given!

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
The best way to clench is to squeeze your butt cheeks together and just hope you make it to the toilet in time. Elon hasn’t invented a time machine yet so there’s no way to undo the midnight snack of hot pockets and Taco Bell. Not as of right now at least.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
When I'm in public I'm more of an in-the-hand guy and have some smaller straight billiards that I clench to one side in the mid-molar area or if I'm reading I have a full bent Dublin that the button hooks behind my front upper teeth and levers on the bottom teeth and lower lip and just hangs there with little to no effort.

When I'm at home the teeth come out and I just gum it in any old place and let the lips steer.
you get used to it ...