PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpart67

Lurker
Jan 21, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hello,
I'm new to the world of pipes. I've read that most people like to clean their pipes with strong,potable, alcohol. Due to foolish regulations where I live I only have a few choices for strong alcohol, and am looking for some advice on what would be the most appropriate choice.
The strongest alcohol I can purchase is 151 proof rum,dark or amber. I am worried about this as the dark has molasses and the amber has caramel added for flavoring. I'm concerned about these flavorings affecting the flavor of my tobacco. The other options are alcohol of about 80-90 proof. The pro side I see to the weaker alcohols is they have less added flavouring(Vodka for example), however the higher alcohol content of the rum would probably clean better.
I will be cleaning my pipes regularly so they probably won't get too dirty, however I'm also picking up some estate pipes that may need a good scrubbing. Out of the options I have available to me what would some of you suggest? Any help is appreciated.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
It doesnt matter much. Everclear is known to be the best, but im in PA and you ant get it. Ive used gin, vodka, vermouth, scotch, whiskey, rum, and whatever else i happen to have access to. Use what you haev provided that it doesnt have any sugar in in, like flavored vodka or coconut rum

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
91% Isopropyl Alcohol. It's all I've ever used. No,it will not kill ya,leave behind residues or strange tastes if allowed to dry. Cheap also. :)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I've been partial to the Everclear as well. But I've used scotch and vodka. They taste better to drink while cleaning ;-)

carpart67

Lurker
Jan 21, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Everclear is not available here. I thought about Isopropyl alcohol, but I thought it may be best to use a potable alcohol. If it's worked for some with no ill effects perhaps I'll consider it.
I have Lambs Navy dark 151 around most of the time. Out of curiosity, has anyone ever used it and found that it did leave behind unwanted flavors?

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I agree with the others. Don't over think it. Any good alcohol should work just fine. I get mine at CVS.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
sirsmokesalot: Where I live In the Mountains of North Carolina, There's this stuff called Moonshine....
ya that'll take more than the ghosts away hahahha past, present, and future

nwgibson85

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
@Sirsmokesalot,

Wife and I are planning on moving to Wilmington in the next two years... after I finish Nursing school. Any thoughts on the area / city?
EDIT: sorry got excited and forgot to add that I use wild turkey 101. I do not drink it much, but at 11$ a bottle I think it works fine, and nothing is better than the smell of bourbon in a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.