3 Fresh Scottie Piersel Pipes
9 Fresh Savinelli Autograph Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 1, 2012
If you're lookng for tips try doing a google search. Type "pipesmagazine" and "cleaning" and you should get about a half a million responses. People will thank you for all of the lifespans you will have benefited.
I love your kind response to a new member. It just makes them want to stay and participate. I bet that if we greet all new member questions with "look it up you moron!" We will have a ton more threads.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Some briars really smoke nicely. A lot of them, from my experience over four decades, are just temperamental. I have found that a nice carbon cake reduces felt heat and often improves the smoke. From time to time, I cut back the cake fairly far back, all the way to the wood, and start over. Yup, often times I find the pipes temperament unleashed again.

But with cobs and meerschaums, this just isn't the problem. Okay, my one Dunhill is a really decent smoker. It is as good as a nice sweet cob. And there is the problem.

My go to pipes. A few Petersons - certainly not all of them, a Knute freestyle, A Nording and my HCA Stanwell. My father's favorite pipe was an old Willard, a dime store pipe that came free with a package of Prince Albert. He said he never had a pipe that smoked better. So... go figure.

Reactions: Sirengatto

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I gotta say that is hard to swallow when the cost of each would be more than my colleague's pay for a month. They make do collecting used clothing and re-selling. To toss the equivalent is a bit...capricious.
That's why I only ever paid full price for the first one. The rest were under $150 with the cheapest being $20. I'll only ever hand over big dollars for commissions or a nice Preben Holm.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I love your kind response to a new member. It just makes them want to stay and participate. I bet that if we greet all new member questions with "look it up you moron!" We will have a ton more threads.
You're still carrying that chip on your shoulder. Grow up.

Before I became a member here, and when I was a newbie here, I did Google searches for information and I didn't think it was a slam to do so. Furthermore, I'm not the only person here who's suggested this to newer members, plenty of others have, including our admin.

Doing a Google search will also yield a LOT more information that may be useful.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Last Summer I got a pair of GMRS radios and was hoping to learn a thing or two about best practices by joining a GMRS forum. This one person had the same attitude as above, just google. I took their advice and never returned to the forum. ;)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Not to hijack/side track the post, but is anyone using any Nylon Pipe Brushes instead of Bristle Pipe Cleaners?

All the bristly cleaners I’ve tried are leaving behind small traces of these bristles I’ve noticed inside the shank airway. I shine a light inside the shank and I can see them, been really hard to clean them out, as they’ve stuck to the wood.

If anyone is using the normal bristle cleaners, shine a light inside the shank, I bet you’ll find little nylon looking bristles collecting inside, this has happened with all my pipes, especially with the Brigham Bristle Cleaners.

I’ve been checking out nylon brushes like these to use instead on SPC.

Any thoughts on these nylon brushes instead of using Bristle Pipe Cleaners?

5C5C9550-BD3E-482B-8BA3-8E39CA6E0EF7.png

51FBA309-F880-4866-AC2E-6DC00D0DA26B.png

Reactions: captainsousie

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not to hijack/side track the post, but is anyone using any Nylon Pipe Brushes instead of Bristle Pipe Cleaners?

All the bristly cleaners I’ve tried are leaving behind small traces of these bristles I’ve noticed inside the shank airway. I shine a light inside the shank and I can see them, been really hard to clean them out, as they’ve stuck to the wood.

If anyone is using the normal bristle cleaners, shine a light inside the shank, I bet you’ll find little nylon looking bristles collecting inside, this has happened with all my pipes, especially with the Brigham Bristle Cleaners.

I’ve been checking out nylon brushes like these to use instead on SPC.

Any thoughts on these nylon brushes instead of using Bristle Pipe Cleaners?

View attachment 72614

View attachment 72615
What's to stop them from coming out of the brushes?

Aug 1, 2012
You're still carrying that chip on your shoulder. Grow up.

Before I became a member here, and when I was a newbie here, I did Google searches for information and I didn't think it was a slam to do so. Furthermore, I'm not the only person here who's suggested this to newer members, plenty of others have, including our admin.

Doing a Google search will also yield a LOT more information that may be useful.
Sorry you feel like I think about you so much...I don't. What I was saying is that maybe if you didn't crap all over a new member asking questions in the "pipe smoking basics and beginner questions" part of the forum, it might encourage them to post rather than run them off. Keep running off newbies if it makes you feel better about yourself though.

Or should they not ask questions about the basics of pipe smoking in the forum dedicated to it?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sorry you feel like I think about you so much...I don't. What I was saying is that maybe if you didn't crap all over a new member asking questions in the "pipe smoking basics and beginner questions" part of the forum, it might encourage them to post rather than run them off. Keep running off newbies if it makes you feel better about yourself though.

Or should they not ask questions about the basics of pipe smoking in the forum dedicated to it?
Well evidently you do, or you wouldn't have made the reply.

• Haha
Reactions: warren
Aug 1, 2012
Well evidently you do, or you wouldn't have made the reply.
So you had no response to the meat of the post, only to the part about yourself. Nice!

I will leave this part of the discussion as to not further derail the original discussion which has generally been good.

If you're still obsessed with what I think of you, take it to pm.