PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
After each smoke I run a pipe cleaner thru the stem & shank. I then bend the pipe cleaner in half and swab out the bowl. I find that swabbing out the bowl after each smoke keeps the cake down to the thickness I prefer. Usually the pipe will let you know if it needs a more thorough cleaning.
I use this exact routine. With a couple of the imperfect/unfinished pipes I‘ve worked on more than others, I’ll spend a little more time with a cloth all over (assuming I like the pipe- I don’t smoke a pipe if I don’t like it).

I don’t have any pipes with significant monetary value, though, so to each their own.

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
After each smoke I run a pipe cleaner thru the stem & shank. I then bend the pipe cleaner in half and swab out the bowl. I find that swabbing out the bowl after each smoke keeps the cake down to the thickness I prefer. Usually the pipe will let you know if it needs a more thorough cleaning.
Exactly. The only difference is that I blow through the stem to dislodge any bits of tobacco that may be stuck in the airway and may use the pipe tool to lightly scrape out any stubborn bits of tobacco that remain in the bowl.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I also use these regularly:

pm-tshkbr-1000.png

I always use them when cleaning cobs and the MacQueen pipe's with its wood stem.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
To be clear, you're NOT supposed to disassemble right after a smoke, right? Have to give them a bit of time to cool down? That was always my understanding.
I always disassemble immediately after smoking and have for decades with no issue. The tar and nicotine deposits are still warm and easier to wipe away with qtips and pipe cleaners that way than when cool.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I clean the bowl with a paper towel and run a pipe cleaner through it after every smoke, which could be a couple bowls. I thoroughly clean them every few weeks.

Reactions: redz

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
It really depends on the pipe how fussy I get with cleaning in between smokes, and it also makes a difference to me if I am going to smoke the same tobacco in that pipe the next time. I use pipe cleaners often. During the smoke, and after. The amount of cleaning is a very subjective thing that each person has to figure out what they are comfortable with.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
Ok what about smoking a bowl, cleaning it out gently, then immediately smoking another bowl? Pretty bad idea, or not really an issue?

Reactions: Ethan

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Ok what about smoking a bowl, cleaning it out gently, then immediately smoking another bowl? Pretty bad idea, or not really an issue?
The mini-manual I got with my last Vauen pipe says that shouldn't be done: that a pipe should be allowed a period of rest to dry.

Now, some might choose to be cynical and state that a manufacturer is gonna say that as a gimmick to make you buy more pipes; regardless, I follow that methodology and choose to rest my pipes after cleaning them and I never just empty and repack.

Of course, I don't smoke all day, nor am I in a situation in which I have only one pipe and need to smoke more than one bowl a day. I smoke 1-3 bowls a week and I am loath to (re)pack a dirty, ashy chamber, so even without maker's advice (or gimmick, whatever) I will clean, rest, and grab another pipe from the rack for the next smoke.

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I rarely follow rules for the sake of rules. For forty years I've often pulled the stem out of a hot pipe, even while I was smoking. I've never had a stem become loose, break, or seen the briar crack. Maybe it can. And if it did, shame on me. I've smoked clean pipes, dirty pipes, and stale pipes that needed to be clean. Okay, that last example is not a good one. They taste awful. I want to be a better smoker. I want to clean my pipes. I want to be the kind of person who wipes them down after every smoke.

But here is what I've discovered:

What I want to be and what I am are too different things.

I can live with that.

Perfection is highly over-rated.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Every body does it differently depending on tastes. I only run a pipe cleaner through when there's moisture in the shank. When the smokes don't taste as good anymore, I rinse with water. I'm really lazy when it comes to cleaning my pipes.

B_Rock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
I don’t feel my smoking session is complete until I break down the pipe, run a few pipe cleaners through the stem and mortise, and wipe the bowl with a paper towel. If it’s a Peterson system pipe, then the reservoir gets some extra attention with a Q-tip or fluffy pipe cleaner and I leave it apart overnight just to make sure it’s moisture free. I’ve also become a water flush convert with several of my well smoked pipes.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Thank you for all the ways you clean your pipes. I have enough pipes that allows me to rest those I've used. I have started using a pipe cleaner for the stems and paper towels for the bowls.

Since I tend to smoke for less than 10 minutes and perhaps three time a day on the weekends. I find that for me this is an enjoyable hobby and that my pipes should last as long as I am interested.

Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr

telescopes

Thank you for all the ways you clean your pipes. I have enough pipes that allows me to rest those I've used. I have started using a pipe cleaner for the stems and paper towels for the bowls.

Since I tend to smoke for less than 10 minutes and perhaps three time a day on the weekends. I find that for me this is an enjoyable hobby and that my pipes should last as long as I am interested.
As long as you‘re interested? I’ve smoked pipes for nearly 40 years. Can’t say I ever did so because I was interested. I smoke because I enjoy the downtime, the solitude, and the way it requires me stop what I am doing and just breathe. Sometimes, I take one with me while I am walking or hiking, but I enjoy it only if it is a nice stroll. Speaking of my pipes, they are like friends. Each one is a memory. They have stories and sometimes I talk to them. They’ve traveled with me and seen a lot of things or at least been with me when I did. They come from many places around the world and most of them were purchased face to face. I understand what you mean by saying your interested. the statement just got me to thinking. I am not sure how anyone would describe why I smoke.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
As long as you‘re interested? I’ve smoked pipes for nearly 40 years. Can’t say I ever did so because I was interested. I smoke because I enjoy the downtime, the solitude, and the way it requires me stop what I am doing and just breathe. Sometimes, I take one with me while I am walking or hiking, but I enjoy it only if it is a nice stroll. Speaking of my pipes, they are like friends. Each one is a memory. They have stories and sometimes I talk to them. They’ve traveled with me and seen a lot of things or at least been with me when I did. They come from many places around the world and most of them were purchased face to face. I understand what you mean by saying your interested. the statement just got me to thinking. I am not sure how anyone would describe why I smoke.
I have a healthy respect for tobacco given at one time I was addicted to chewing tobacco that began as a collegiate athlete and lasted 25 years.

I tried smoking a pipe and had four or 5 when I was 20 something . Lost Interest over time .

Right now the interest is learning to taste as I would a good beer or a good ground coffee bean. I don’t want tobacco to become something I do to relax, or rather have to do to relax.

Reactions: BarrelProof

telescopes

I have a healthy respect for tobacco given at one time I was addicted to chewing tobacco that began as a collegiate athlete and lasted 25 years.

I tried smoking a pipe and had four or 5 when I was 20 something . Lost Interest over time .

Right now the interest is learning to taste as I would a good beer or a good ground coffee bean. I don’t want tobacco to become something I do to relax, or rather have to do to relax.
I hear you. That's my story with tequila...

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So, my Freehand cob had an obstruction that pipe cleaners, several, wouldn't touch. I cranked up the compressor and freed the stem of the offending thing.

Since reading this thread, I wipe the bowl of the cobs or other with a paper towel and use a pipe cleaner after use. Again, thank you to all for your advice.

Reactions: Toast