Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
I have a meerschaum I like quite a lot. I reserve it for aros.
I've read somewhere (can't remember where at the moment) that you must clean them differently than briars (such as not using bristle pipe cleaners), and that, unlike briars, you don't want to build up a cake in the bowl.
So how does one clean a meerschaum?
And though I've tried to prevent a cake from building, I think it's getting one. What should I do? If I'm supposed to remove it, how do I do that?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I wish I could help you ST, but I don't know anything about cleaning Meerschaums. I had a couple, but I don't really care for them so I never really researched the subject.
I only have one left which I decided to keep. It is a small churchwarden which I very rarely smoke.
When I got my first Meer, I read somewhere that a good way to keep the cake out of it was to use the green scrubbing pads like the ones that are on the back of a sponge. I bought some of the green scrubbing pads and never really had much success with them removing the build up. That's about as far as my knowledge goes on keeping the cake out of a Meer.
I know what NOT to do with a Meer though, lol.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
That's the article I've seen before -- thanks for posting the link, dillydallydan.
But it doesn't say what to do with the meer if you think a cake is starting to form, which is a concern of mine.
I think meers are underrated, by the way. They're light, they cool down fast, they're not overly expensive, and they can be sculpted in very nice ways. When I have the funds I think I'll get a couple more.
Good questions Sinister
Thanks, pstlpkr. I figured I couldn't be the only one wondering about this.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I do essentially what Bob suggested, only in a more formalized way. I use 3M stripping pads. They allow you to be aggressive with minimal risk of scratching or gouging the inner surface of the meerschaum bowl. Go to a home improvement store and buy a pad with the coarseness desired, and a ¼-inch dowel rod. Cut a slot in the end of the dowel rod to receive an appropriately sized piece of the pad. Chuck the rod in a drill press or hand drill and carefully go to it! The downside is some of the pad will deteriorate into a fine, filthy powder, leaving you with a messy clean-up job. (Alcohol and cotton balls to the rescue.)

3MStrippingpad.jpg

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
Excellent advice and much appreciated, Bob & Cortezattic!
I'll try it out this weekend.
While we're on the topics of meers, does anyone prefer them to briars? I've heard of one or two that do. I'm curious why they're not more popular.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have two block meers, both from the late 60's: a classic claw holding an egg shaped bowl, and an abstract freehand called "The Caveman" because of its resemblance to a rock on the end of a shaft. I prefer them, almost exclusively, for folded Va flakes. I don't know if this is owing to the meerschaum or their steep, narrow parabolic chamber geometries.
At some point in time I gave up smoking them for the sole purpose of coloring, and now only take them up when I have a taste for Va flakes. If I were starting out with a new meer, I'd definitely get a coloring bowl for it; but "back when," there was no WWW and I was ignorant of the possibilities.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I have picked up a number of meerlined briars that look terrible taste terrible - and I wish I could get my hands on some of the folks who sold them to me on ebay. However, that being said I a have come up with a technique that seems to work although it might horrify the public at large.
1. Buy or own Meerschaum or meer lined pipe.

2. Look inside - Faint, curse, or pray that you can save it.

3. Take a pipe reemer - gently remove as much stuff as possible without damaging the bow.

4. Take a discarded tooth brush, a saucer of kosher salt, and a good dash of Everclear. Mix the salt and Everclear in the saucer.

5. Run the faucet and start scrubbing using the salt/alcohol solution.

6. Periodically run the brush under the running faucet.

7. Continue to scub the "inside" until the junk seems cleaned out.

8. Give the inside of the pipe a final rinse of water and thoroughly dry the outside of the pipe. If you are cleaning a meerlined briar wipe off the bowl with a shining cloth and swab the shank with pipe cleaners. You should swab a meerschaum shank with cleaners too.

9. Let dry for several days before smoking.

10. You will have a sweet smoke and to prevent caking take a pipe cleaner after every smoke and swab out the bowl of ashes, dottle etc.

Good luck to all - I say try this at your own risk - like I said I have used this method on pipes that were probably written off by previous owner - with great success but of course offer no guarantees that this will work for you.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Cortez,
I do something similar but with 150 grit sandpaper wrapped around a pen. I read an article about cake removal with briars and carried it over to my meers. It does the trick nicely.
I like the sound of your idea with the 3M pads and since I've seen what you use, I plan to try that and may even explore a little further with different scouring pads.
It's rare that I actually get that involved with cleaning though, as either using a bristle cleaner bent into a U or paper towel while the bowl is warm seems to do pretty well at keeping the cake from forming.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks guy's. I got the old Meer out of mothballs recently. Damn! I forgot how much I like that pipe. I had been 2 years since I smoked it. It had a broken plastic insert. My wife fixed it with super glue. She is a wizard with glue. It works fine now, but I do intend to order an insert if I can remember who I ordered it from. Now it needs cleaning.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I have two meers. One Bob gave me that is a really cool eagle claw from CAO and the other is a no name from the local B&M that is a classic apple shape.
I think there are three reasons I don't smoke them as much as my briars.
1. They are kept in their form-fitted cases, so I don't see them when I go looking at my racks to choose a pipe and forget about them.
2. I perceive them as being more fragile and become afraid of damaging them.
3. The rule about not touching the meerschaum so it colors evenly is bothersome since I like holding the bowl in my hand.
However, I think they look real cool.
Check out how cool this dude looks with his.
meerschaum-dude.jpg

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
They do look cool, and smoke good. I have always held mine in my hand though. I am not good at handling things with kid gloves. That is why I broke my insert. Mine is starting to color in the heel quite a bit. I would not say it it very attractive at this stage. When it is fully colored maybe.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
3. The rule about not touching the meerschaum so it colors evenly is bothersome since I like holding the bowl in my hand.
I don't care so much about the coloring. I'll avoid smoking them if I've had too much coffee so as not to disturb the wax. Besides that and washing my hands before using, those are the only precautions I take. I'm not going to hold a pipe by the stem or wear a glove just to smoke it. The smoking part means more to me than aesthetics.
One of my meers is an IMP bent ball. It's gotten a few very light nicks or what-have-you on the surface. I don't know how they got there since I've been pretty gentle with it. In truth, the nicks are a plus for me. It gives it the look of a cue ball that's been in use for a while.
As far as how both are coloring, I can't tell that holding either by hand has hurt evenness or had any sort of ill effect.

peter

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2009
Meers and cobs for the win. Only things I seem to smoke these days. Cool smoke, good flavor from the tobac, and no hassles. Also, far cheaper for a good meer than for a good briar.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mick said
I have always held mine in my hand though. I am not good at handling things with kid gloves.

Mick, put the glove on the pipe! I used a chamois from an auto parts & supply store, using the soft side facing inward. The downside is you can't see the coloring progress on some shapes. As you can see in these pix, the pipe surface has been protected from quite a bit of filth over the years.

DSCN0455.jpg
DSCN0456.jpg
DSCN0457.jpg
CavemanLeft.jpg
CavemanLeftBare.jpg

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Cortez,
Have I been misunderstanding the glove thing this whole time? All along, I've been thinking all the references of using gloves when it comes to meers were about wearing a glove on the hand. It never crossed my mind that a glove could mean a sheath for the pipe!

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I found the site from which I ordered my pipe. I can order my insert now.

Could you guys tell me some of the better brand name Meers. Also, what should I expect to pay. I like a conventional Calabash. I paid 45.00 for mine about 3 years ago. I just want a good smoker.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Could you guys tell me some of the better brand name Meers.
I've got two IMP meers and though they're the only meers I've ever owned, I'll vouch for their quality. Also, they don't have screw-in inserts, but use a regular tenon/mortise.
I bought both of mine from www.smokingpipes.com and each were in the neighborhood of $90 at the time. They seem to be a little pricier now, but from my experience, they're worth the investment.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/imp/index.cfm
I also hear good things about Altinok pipes and I think they may be affiliated with IMP.
www.altinokpipes.com

Status
Not open for further replies.