PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
IMG_8661.jpeg

I’ve been going through some tough times lately. In November I went into kidney failure and spent a week in the hospital. Got out Thanksgiving Day and I’ve been on dialysis ever since. Obviously haven’t been enjoying my pipes since I’m on dialysis now. Over the time I grew a lot closer to some family members because of the kidney issues, so today, Christmas, has been hard since they’re in other cities. I was looking for a way to brighten the mood, so I thought, well I haven’t cleaned my pipes in a while let’s try that.

I decided to start with some of my older Peterson’s which I haven’t smoked in quite some time. I gathered up the ones I wanted to clean, got out the salt and 151 rum plus the bristle and regular cleaners. Tracked down my pipe tool with the good reamer on it and got the carnuba wax and Obsidian stem oil too. I sat down, put on the PipesMagazine RadioShow (cheap plug you’re welcome Brian and Kevin), and got to work.

As I started to clean them I remembered that even though it’s work this is another aspect of the hobby I enjoy too. It was nice to see these old friends and to show them love. Good memories of the bowls I’ve had in them came back to me. It had me wanting to use them more often in my rotation when I’m finally able to again.

The radio show also helped a lot. I can’t express this enough, if you need a pick me up just listen to some episodes. It really helps to de-stress and get into a positive mindset.

If you’re looking for something to do that’ll rejuvenate yourself and your love of the hobby I suggest you clean your pipes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Keep your head up. I worked as a Diaylsis aid in the hospital for a bit. Just really pay attention to your fluid intake, suck on ice chips, and I've met a lot of people on Diaylsis and it seems like a big inconvenience for sure, but they also are still living. Check into if there's home Diaylsis once you're comfortable enough with it and if you qualify and you could be smoking a pipe as you sit on that machine, merry Christmas

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country

Cleaning Is Cathartic​

Mark Twain knew that for he wrote, "There is a real sense of pleasure in setting before one's own fire with racks piled about, each briar, clay, or meerschaum catching the flickering light in its own way. And there is that feeling of achievement at seeing the racks, some moments later, filled with clean, sweet pipes, each ready and waiting to be filled with a favorite blend."

I pray that you fully recover from your malady so that you may, again, enjoy both ends of the pipe-smoking ritual!

Last edited: