PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkertank

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2014
Wipe the bowl out with a hanky, and run a cleaner through the stem. Done.
Love the cob, smoke the cob, be the cob. The cob is all, and all is the cob.

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
After removing the dottle with a Czech tool, I use a folded over bristle pipe cleaner (I prefer Dill's brand) in the bowl with a up and down motion all the way around then run a regular pipe cleaner through the stem after every smoke. The bristle pipe cleaner dislodges small particles and ash from the bowl then just tap it a few times into the palm of your hand to remove it. This will also help prevent too much cake formation in the bowl. That's all I do, then back on the pipe stand it goes. Ever so often, I run a regular pipe cleaner soaked in rum through the stem followed by a dry one. No further maintenance is needed IMHO. I agree with the others who stated that MM cobs should last years, perhaps a lifetime with simple basic cleaning after every smoke.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I feel like I can't be the only one, but since no one's mentioned it I'll share what I do when running a pipe cleaner. I have a couple forever stems but over a dozen cobs with the wide open stems. For those I'll take the first inch or two of a pipe cleaner and put two slight bends in them, like a flat 'Z'. When running the cleaner to the bowl I'll twist the cleaner all the way through and it provides a bit of scrubbing action. The effectiveness can especially be seen through those clear/yellow Legend stems. I'll also fold a cleaner in half, and put a slight bend at the bottom of the 'U' and run it the length of the stem, pull it out and bend it the opposite way, and run it again this scrubs out the top and bottom of the stem pretty well for me.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
For the stem I take a long churchwarden cleaner and fold it in half. Works great. I use the paper towel in the bowl. Seems to do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.