PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Radice Rind that has a clear lucite stem. The air stream splits into a "Y" about half way up the stem. I'm trying to clean the tar out of the airway. So far this morning I've been using some Tennessee moonshine with bristle pipe cleaners. I dip the pipe cleaner and then push it through and let it set for 10 minutes.

I've seen some progress but I'd like to know if there is a better way to get this pristine.

Help,
John

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It sounds like you are on the right track Papipeguy.

It will probably just take some time and patience.

But, that's what pipe smoking is all about.
You might try just soaking/submerging the stem over night in your Tennessee Moonshine.

I don't think that would be alcohol abuse.
Spilling a beer :crying: ... now that would be alcohol abuse.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
I wish I knew enough to be of help Papipeguy... WHAT I DO KNOW FOR SURE IS THIS... If you drink enough of that good old TN. shine instead of running it down the stem...You won't care if it is clean or not! At least till the next day!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Good pointers all around. I got this stuff from my salesman in Tennessee about 6 years ago and its the real deal. Crystal clear and I hate to use it this way but we are talking about a Radice.

I'll continue to work at it. Thanks all.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Any idea what the proof is of that 'shine?
I think they still sell "Georgia Moon" corn whiskey in the mason jars, but that is watered down to about 80 proof so it can be sold legally at liquor stores.
I would recommend Everclear which is 190 proof grain alcohol. Save the 'shine for other purposes. :wink:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
As near as I can tell this hootch is pure. One of our customers makes it for "medicinal" purposes. It isn't watered down at all. My guy shipped it in a mason jar.

I agree that Everclear is handy to have. I'm not sure if it is sold in Pa but I'll find out tomorrow when I make my usual run to the state store.

mrhemi71

Lurker
Feb 17, 2011
If you do soak it, I might suggest warming the shine till it's hot, helps break up the tar a LOT easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.