PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacoboverton

Lurker
Jul 4, 2014
I am curious as to when I should clear the bowl of my briar pipe. I clean the stem before every smoke, but how do I know when I should clean the bowl?

And what are some of the best methods for cleaning the bowl? I've heard some odd ones... I just want to take good care of my pipe and make it last a long time!

Thanks!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
When I'm done smoking and the pipe has cooled, I stuff a paper towel in the bowl to wipe whatever will come out and blow loose tobacco. You don't need to clean your pipe after every single smoke, but some folks do. Then there are some who never clean their pipes.
It's a matter of personal choice more than necessary maintenance.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Jacob, there are lots of varying opinions on this topic, but at the very least, run a pipe cleaner through the stem into the bowl after every smoke to absorb moisture, and then "double up" a pipe cleaner and "swab" the inside of the bowl the absorb excess moisture and remove loose particles....never remove the stem while the bowl is hot. Once the bowl cools down its a good idea to remove the stem and clean around the end of the stem, the "tenon". Depending on how often you smoke your pipe, you will want to give it a periodical "thorough" cleaning. There are lots of info on how to do this, but it usually involves using some form of alcohol, typically grain alcohol and cleaning inside the stem and bowl with it. You will need to let the pipe sit and rest for a couple days after doing this. You should let your pipe "rest" for at least a day after smoking it, especially if you smoke it a few times a day. Look into getting a couple corn cobs to smoke during the times when your pipe is resting.
Welcome to the hobby and to the forum...keep the questions coming :)

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I stick my finger in the bowl after it's cooled off and twist it around a little bit.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, Jacob! :clap:
After a smoke, I swab the stem & shank with a thick bristle cleaner, and fold it to wipe crud from the bowl, like NOLA Cajun suggests.

If, after a while, the pipe's flavor degrades, I'll swab the stem and shank with alcohol.
I have stopped using alcohol to clean the bowl itself, and merely scrape the carbon cake with the spoon end of my pipe tool.

Based on my experience, I think the nasty tastes of a dirty pipe originate in the shank and stem, not the bowl.
BTW, a paper towel or a crumpled sheet of printer paper, when forcibly corkscrewed into the bowl, makes an excellent carbon scraper.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Then there are some who never clean their pipes.
Right you are. Like the guy that owned this pipe!

Who because he didn't do this...

but at the very least, run a pipe cleaner through the stem into the bowl after every smoke to absorb moisture, and then "double up" a pipe cleaner and "swab" the inside of the bowl the absorb excess moisture and remove loose particles....never remove the stem while the bowl is hot. Once the bowl cools down its a good idea to remove the stem and clean around the end of the stem, the "tenon". Depending on how often you smoke your pipe, you will want to give it a periodical "thorough" cleaning. There are lots of info on how to do this, but it usually involves using some form of alcohol, typically grain alcohol and cleaning inside the stem and bowl with it./quote]
Put me in the position to do this a few times...

And then this...

Before getting it back to this...

As NOLACajun says, a little care after every use and an occasional deep clean is a great way to keep your smokes tasting great, and your pipes in good nick.
Good luck!
-- Pat

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
After every smoke, dip a pipecleaner in Bacardi and run it through the stem and the shank of the pipe.

Well, sometimes I use Jack Daniels because it's handier.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I think I'm going to field day my collection around my piping anniversary (July) and I just so happen to have an entire week off coming up soon. All that I own are mostly estates and I already put all the work into them when I bought each of them. I just don't see the benefit (aside from having immaculately clean pipes) of doing alcohol swabs after every smoke. I just make sure the moisture is taken care of and that there isn't loose tobacco anywhere.
Like others said, it's different for everyone.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This is my procedure for cleaning my pipes, if you do this every time your pipes will smoke to their optimum level, anything less then you are robbing yourself of potential flavor from your tobacco which is blasphemy.
I let my pipes cool over night then break the pipe down. I will take one or 2 fluffy cleaners depending on size of the bowl and wipe the inside of the bowl and then blow through the shank. I then take either one or 2 bristle cleaners again depending on the size of the shank, double them over and run them through the shank, first twisting them and then running them back and forth. I will continue with the bristle cleaners until they come out clean. I then take one or two bristle cleaners and run them through the stem. I then take one or two fluffy cleaners and run those through the stem. Many of my pipes have stems that can take two cleaners and some of my pipes have a shank diameter greater than 4mm which can handle two cleaners doubled over through the shanks.
For deep cleanings I use Everclear, shank brush, bristle and fluffy cleaners along with Obidisian Stem Oil and pretty much do the same as above. I have never or will I ever use anything that is not drinkable on my pipes. Isopropyl alcohol has never touched one of my pipes. I also never rub the inside of my bowls with any type of alcohol. When needed I will take a pipe knife( thanks roth) and use that to scrap and even out my cake. I used to use my Senior reamer for this but took roths suggestion of the pipe knife and like how that works better.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I smoke filtered pipes for the most part and I run a cleaner through after every smoke and change the filter and about once a week I will run a cleaner wetted with strong rum through the stem and shank. About one a month I run a bristle brush dipped in rum through the stem and use a bristle cleaner dipped in rum to clean the tar of the top of the bowl and rub the stem down with Denicare and a good wipe down. If I find I am starting to build a lot of cake I will lightly scrap down the cake a bit with a reamer.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Dread, for years I used the Senior Reamer but when I tried the knife, I found I had better control especially at the bottom of the bowl. Give it a shot and I think you will see what I am talking about.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Harris, what brand of pipe knife do you recommend? I'm in the market for one right now.

If you can find a picture of it online, post the link.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
79E6853C-34B1-4980-B3E1-4589B655537D-14472-00001FD0E31248AD_zps62791936.jpg
I believe this is the one most pipers use , although you can round off the tip of any knife. Sheffield is the brand, made in England, very handy tool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think after each smoke is the time to do regular clean-up, nothing elaborate, just the basics.

Scoop out the bowl thoroughly; scour out the bowl with a paper towel/tissue (I'm not a cake

builder); blow out loose ash and leaf; run a pipe cleaner through the airway thoroughly; and

polish up the pipe all over with a rag/bandana/soft cloth. If you do this after every smoke,

you are not likely to have to do frequent more elaborate cleaning. Better to clean while the

pipe is still warm, moist, and easy to wipe clean and polish.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I stick my finger in the bowl after it's cooled off and twist it around a little bit.
This. This and a pipe cleaner down the stem's good enough unless you feel a deep clean is in order.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My cleaning starts before I'm even done smoking.
Around halfway into a bowl I run a fluffy cleaner all the way down, flip it around and repeat.
Sometimes this is repeated towards the end of the bowl as well as when I'm done smoking it.
I don't like to let the moisture build up at all because of this:
I think the nasty tastes of a dirty pipe originate in the shank and stem, not the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.