PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Hi, I purchased clay pipes from this website Penn Valley Pipes & Tobacco a few months ago.
First of all, they are great pipes. I love them more than my cheap briar pipe and the owner is very kind-hearted.
However, after smoking happily for numerous times, something bad happened....
Recently, I visited my friend's house for thanksgiving and used his fireplace to clean my pipe.
Everything was going perfect and I could see that my pipe was becoming as white as when I first got them from the package.
However, as time went by, I realized that the place where fire did not really touch was getting charred and black... it almost seemed like somebody rubbed a charcoal on them.
I tried to lay my pipe on woods in different position, but the place where flame didn't touch directly became black again.... (very frustrating....)
And after "cleaning" them, I drew some air through the pipes and was disappointed by heavy taste of log and ash..... :(
So please, tell me, how can I clean my clay pipes in a proper way?
I also have another question.
I also noticed that there are some cracks in my pirate pipe!!!! (NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
I guess carrying the pipe around wrapped in bubble-wrap was not really protecting the pipe.....
So, how do you carry your clay pipes?
Thank you

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
SNV30013.jpg
[/img]
SNV30012.jpg

SNV30011.jpg

SNV30010.jpg

SNV30007.jpg

SNV30006.jpg

SNV30005.jpg

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
well the mirowave is out i have read but aint tried the oven on self cleaning mode and i was thinking when i do clean wally i was gonna put into the bed of coals from a caqmp fire over night

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Self cleaning oven. If you dont have one (i dont) put your oven as hot as it goes, it wont remove the color, but it will remove all taste, also ive heard that charcoal grill coals work too, never tried it.
I can attest to the first method though

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Ok guys, I figured out a really good way to clean these pipes...
Bed of coals ain't gonna clean them well... it will only make them charred (just like in my photos...)
Oven is not the best way to clean pipe either because my pipes smelled funny when I got 'em out from the oven
because my friend used the oven for his pizza.
So MY best way to clean clay pipes is to use stove; just burn those pipes with the blue flame!!!
Just be careful with this method because you can burn your hand while trying this method, so wear oven-mittens or
use tongs!
Don't believe me? Pictures speak for themselves.
SNV30014.jpg

SNV30015.jpg

SNV30016.jpg

SNV30017.jpg

SNV30018.jpg

SNV30019.jpg

SNV30020.jpg

SNV30021.jpg

SNV30022.jpg

SNV30023.jpg

SNV30024.jpg

SNV30025.jpg

Jul 15, 2011
I just read their care guide online and I am curious about something: Is it really necessary to clean a clay pipe to get rid of gunkiness and tastes? It sounds to me like the clay would absorb all the tars and gunk that you would have to clean out of a briar pipe, and their care guide makes it sound like the only reason you would need to clean a pipe is to remove obstructions that get into the pipe. I would assume that as long as the airway is free, you shouldnt really need to clean the pipe, unless you care about the clay being nice and white again. Am I correct in assuming this or am I mistaken?

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I thought the same thing. The clay develops a desired patina to it just like meerschaum I believe. So... the blacker the better right?

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, I guess it's pretty a good idea to build patina and even "cake" in your clay pipe, but I just thought that my tobacco's taste was getting marred by all those residues built inside. Besides, those clean-white pipes look so good again!!! McClelland's Classic Samsun tasted so good when I smoked it with a cleaned pipe. (such a lovely blend...)

mrdirt22

Lurker
Nov 18, 2011
I would really like a clay pipe. I'm just certain that I would drop it at some point.
If a gas stove works, would you suppose a propane torch would work too?

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
I'm assuming that it might work... but you are talking about blow torch aye? Well, then I'm pretty sure that it will clean the pipes faster since it produces flame with higher temperature. Just be careful with it because the pipes get red hot (literally glowing red like scorching iron in blacksmith shop) when they make contact with flame for a long time. I am not really sure if they are going to shatter after being exposed to high temperature, but just be cautious.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
For those who are thinking about getting clay pipes:
Buy them from this website Penn Valley Pipes & Tobacco.
Before I tried the "stove-method" I sent an email to KC Ellis (the owner of the shop) about my trial-by-fire, cracking and ultimately, failure. And today, he replied to my letter this morning, saying he would send me A NEW SET OF PIPES!!!
This man knows what he's talking about, he's very approachable, kind-hearted, his customer-service is fantastic and his pipes smoke great.
Of course, Dawn Mist Studio has more variety of clay pipes which are hand-made by the owner. However, I think Penn Valley Pipes & Tobacco has very good pipes with way cheaper price (almost half of Dawn Mist's pipes)
So yeah!!! Go check 'em out!!! My pipes are called "The Buccaneer Detective Combo" or "Sherlock and the Case of the Dutch Pirate Pipe" There are more combinations of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.