PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
I’m not sure if this is the right part of the forum. However, I’m thinking of picking up clay pipe and was hoping some of you who smoke them could direct me on what to look for and where to buy?

I’ve been told to look on eBay for Dutch clays but also told that some of the economical ones sold online would work too.

Thanks in advance for help and guidance.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've got only one: Dutch pipe that I picked up at my local B&M for $13 CAD:

_MG_9853.jpg

I'd pay a visit to the local tobacconist to see if they've any. Personally, I loved the experiment of trying these pipes out, but I wouldn't spend too much money on them, either in the pipe itself or in shipping charges.

Speaking of shipping, that's another thing that'd make me nervous as heck: you better make sure the seller packs them as if they were nitroglicerin, because the couriers are gonna beat the heck out of the parcels no matter how many FRAGILE!! signs in big bold letters are on the boxes.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
If you are willing to spend a little bit more look at the Lepeltier clay pipes. What is great of them is they are double walled so they are not hot as the tavern pipes types and they can be handled easily by the bowl, and they have an ebonite stem which is a big plus. They could become your primary pipes if you like them.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I’m not sure if this is the right part of the forum. However, I’m thinking of picking up clay pipe and was hoping some of you who smoke them could direct me on what to look for and where to buy?

I’ve been told to look on eBay for Dutch clays but also told that some of the economical ones sold online would work too.

Thanks in advance for help and guidance.
For clay pipe information and purchasing, definitely check out Pipeshoppe.com.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
One of the advertisers on this site Pipes and Cigars in PA often carry very nice clay pipes with a plastic/vulcanite stem with an aluminum band. I have a couple gifted to me by my dear friend Weezell a few years ago that are practically indestructible but smoke like champs. I think they are made in Germany but they are well worth the money.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I have several Old Dominion and one Dutch made clays. They get smoked pretty hard! The plus side of em is burn proof, flavor neutral (until they’ve sucked up a bunch of tar), are cheap and smoke very dry. Minus side is the bowl gets hotter than hell and they break easily. Don’t know how everyone else cleans theirs but, I build a charcoal fire in the grill and set the pipes directly on the hot coals and leave them till cool. They go back to bright white and squeaky clean;)

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I have several Old Dominion and one Dutch made clays. They get smoked pretty hard! The plus side of em is burn proof, flavor neutral (until they’ve sucked up a bunch of tar), are cheap and smoke very dry. Minus side is the bowl gets hotter than hell and they break easily. Don’t know how everyone else cleans theirs but, I build a charcoal fire in the grill and set the pipes directly on the hot coals and leave them till cool. They go back to bright white and squeaky clean;)
I'd like to try that when I take part in living history re-enactment!
Don't EVER clean them in the oven as it makes it stink of baccy and you can't get rid of the smell!
The biggest problem with clay pipes is the tar and nicotine soaks into the clay and it affects the smell of the pipes and the taste of the tobacco...

Reactions: kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I'd like to try that when I take part in living history re-enactment!
Don't EVER clean them in the oven as it makes it stink of baccy and you can't get rid of the smell!
The biggest problem with clay pipes is the tar and nicotine soaks into the clay and it affects the smell of the pipes and the taste of the tobacco...
I highly recommend the fire clean method sir!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
If you are willing to spend a little bit more look at the Lepeltier clay pipes. What is great of them is they are double walled so they are not hot as the tavern pipes types and they can be handled easily by the bowl, and they have an ebonite stem which is a big plus. They could become your primary pipes if you like them.
Not my style of pipe though.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Dan when I exclusively smoked clays I used to drop them in the glowing coal embers of the front room fire grate at night before going to bed. It had to be just red embers and white ash to work properly. I don't think people have coal fires these days. The down side was that the glazed tip used to get burnt off as well as the tar. Thats how I first thought up the nail varnish trick. My girlfriend at the time wasn't too impressed!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I've only ever smoked a normal (non-clay) pipe twice, both with Clan.
The amount of clay pipes I've received from a forum member via @condorlover1 I'll never have to buy any more!
@condorlover1 I should be getting my new bathroom next year and will continue my litter picking during the shutdown next month, but I'm going swimming again before the lockdown starts; it should be over by Christmas.
Dad and I have done some more work on my sword training knight and I've had another fight with him today.
Dad's got me a knight shaped toilet paper holder and I'm having stone coloured tiles and wood effect floor covering, so I'm carrying the medieval theme through to the bathroom!

Status
Not open for further replies.