PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
The only cigars I smoke are acids.... Those flavors are wild and super tasty... Haven't found a acid I dont like... Any other cigars I'll let other people smoke!
Yeah, I only have cigars on a rare occasion, but I'm a fan of the Acid infused cigars. So far I've tried the Blondie, Wafe, and the Kuba Kuba and enjoyed all three. The local B&M, which isn't anything special, has the Toast cigars as well and I'll probably try that next. I'm actually getting into cigarillos, particularly the flavored variety, quite a bit recently, as they are a nice quick smoke when I don't have time for a pipe. I picked up a tin of the Dannemann's filtered cigarillos the other day and enjoy them quite a bit. I would like to try out the Acid Krush line at some point and I know CAO makes a whole line of flavored cigarillos.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Eh wallbright, I'd be interested in a trade if you'd like to trade for some pipe tobacco. I'm afraid the only cigars I have aren't too great (the super cheap samplers from online). But I do have about 6-7 ounces of different English blends I'd trade for some cigars if you're into that? :mrgreen:
Sure that sounds great. I have too many cigars as it is and enjoy sharing the hobby. I will PM you.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
@ wallbright: sweet! Can't wait!
@ brewshooter: Aren't those wafe cigars the really weird USB drive lookin ones?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Cigars international copper series, which is an Acid hazelnut infused cigar. Other than that, I like Punch puros, Comanche Liberty, and genuine Cohiba's. Alas, no real Cohiba's in the states.Acids offer a good selection for pipers who like aromatics.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I smoke cigars regularly, when I have them. I get mine from JR's and go for their alternative Montecristo "C". I also buy cigars when they have them on sale and always go for medium to strong. I've found very few cigars that I haven't liked.
I even made myself a nice big humidor from a thermoelectric wine fridge. Replaced the bottle racks with wooden drawers I made myself. It will hold 200-300 cigars and keeps the temps below 70, which is hard to do here in the ozarks.
I'm out right now, so better order some cigars when I get paid....... :)

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
@ brewshooter: Aren't those wafe cigars the really weird USB drive lookin ones?
Those are the ones, kind of an odd shape.
I've never wanted to fuss with a humidor. So, I only grab cigars that I plan on smoking within a day or two. The cigarillos seem to keep a little better, I think a lot of them are of the dry variety and don't need much moisture. I tend to just throw the open tins into a Ziploc freezer bag and they seem to keep okay that way.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
A cheap alternative to a humidor is to use a Tupperware dish that seals well. Some guys use these permanently. I use a coolerdor which is where you put a humidification device in a cooler such as ones used for tailgating as long as it has a good seal. When I get married next year I am going to purchase a Edgestar 28 bottle wine cooler and convert it into a humidor. It is pretty easy but involves a bit more as you have to make a drain for the condensation or provide some way to keep condensation from building if you plan on using it with it plugged in, which I would since the whole point would be to keep my cigars cooler in this heat. All that to say that as long as you store them in something with a good seal you are pretty much good to go for a month without a humidification device or years with one. There is much debate on the subject out there but from my experience as long as whatever you use does not have an odor it could impart on your cigars and has a tight seal you will be good to go if you add a humidification device to it such as beads. I use 65% beads and have never had a problem. Hope this wasn't too much of a rant.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Due to the rising cost of Cigars - I stopped smoking them...if I want a cigar taste I smoke a bowl of Billy Budd.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Very true. Comparatively you can buy a two tins of Balkan Sasieni for the price of one cigar (in some cases). If you compare bulk pipe tobacco prices to cigar prices then there is really no comparison as far as bang for your buck. You can get a crap ton of bulk pipe tobacco for the price of one really good cigar. That is why I switched to pipes in the first place but I keep going back to cigars for their different flavor profile. I am showing my housemate how to smoke a pipe later on this week and if he enjoys it then I might be smoking more pipes than cigars as he is my smoking buddy. It would certainly make more financial sense unless you figure in the PAD then it is just as expensive as cigars haha.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
While i do enjoy a good higher priced cigar,to save money Ive sampled as many bargain bundles as possible. JR alternatives are very good and Famous-Smoke offers many series of bundles that usually measure up.Also i find Puros Indios remain a good bang for the buck and are available in good deals from Holts and CI.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
as you can see by my handle, i am a fan of maduro cigars...
el rey del mundo robusto largas are my fav, they never dissapoint.
as far as figuring out power of a cigar, the filler has the most influence on that so pay attention to what countries the component parts come from and where it's put together. cuban being strongest and dominican republic being mildest. NOTE, this is a rule of thumb and there are exceptions....
best cigar storage for money? a cooler like an igloo type.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I very occasionally light up a cigar, though I'm totally out of the loop on brands and such. I recall very much enjoying smallish Romeo y Julietta ones--no idea what the full nomenclature on them was though. I've had Cubans, from Cuba, and was...well, let's say underwhelmed. Recently I sampled some of the CAO flavors to compare them to the pipe tobacco versions, and think they're pretty brilliant. I'll definitely be buying a few boxes to keep on hand, but, alas, as others have pointed out, the cost of keeping a stocked humidor is much higher than keeping pipe tobacco. Re: Penzance cigars--I'd love input from those more experienced with cigars as to sticks versus pipe tobacco comparisons / pairings.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
For some "cheaper" cigars I recommend trying Nick's Sticks. They are about $70 for 20 robustos, but man they are a nice cigar choice especially if you have those buddies that like to come over and ask, "Hey you wanna smoke a cigar?"(meaning can I have one of yours).

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I recently bought the cheap 20 for $20 sampler from famous smoke shop (an internet store). They're surprisingly good as far as my standards go... which probably isn't the norm for most, but I mean c'mon it's a dollar a stick! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.