PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
I used to prefer the largest sizes I could get, because usually at the local B&M they were only a few cents more than robustos.

But (and this paragraph is full of generalizations which don't always apply), I'm starting to lean toward robustos for shorter smoking times, and smaller ring gauges for flavor. It turns out that the longer the cigar, the longer the smoking time, and the less likely I am to smoke it when time is short (as it usually is, these days). As winter comes on, I'll be leaning more toward cigarillos than Size As.

ThomasS

Can't Leave
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Setting aside cigarillos, which I like too... I usually tend toward Toro or Robusto mostly depending on the price - like JoeW said, it's the time - nothing against Churchills but they last too long. I do prefer the 50/52/54 side of ring gauge whatever the length. I find much bigger to be overwhelming, and much smaller to require more concentration to keep lit and burning properly (ignoring those cute little 4 x 32 friends, which I like for shorter smokes or cigars who's full size is more than I want to pay).

My favorites are lanceros and coronas for that wrapper flavor, but i smoke all sizes up to 54 ring on occasion. This preference came, with a few exceptions, after trying larger and smaller ring sizes of several blends. I got better, smoother flavor from the thinner gauges. This is more true for some lines (like Jaime Garcia blue, a tasty lancero) than for others (such as CAO Brazilia, which is about the only cigar i'm willing to go past a 50 ring for).

I'll also make one last caveat. This is not true when it comes to Cuban products. I really do like the filler from that region and prefer thicker offerings in this case. However, i smoke mostly Nicaraguan cigars with the occasional Dominican high end. For these, the above is mostly the case.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
A long and skinny cigar has more flavor because it has more wrapper... Or so I've always thought.
Oh interesting. I see the logic in either statement. It could have been a biased claim more than a fact for all I know. I actually like long skinny cigars a lot lately. I had some really good ones by Hoya de Nicaragua if I am not mistaken. It may be mental, but to me the bouquet feels more focused. I feel more refined, elegant and sophisticated when I smoke this shape too, though I’m not sure if others pick up on that

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'll smoke any size/shape but mostly I buy toro/toro gordo size.

I used to buy Churchills a lot but backed off after I noticed I was usually only smoking them halfway.

Some sizes suit some cigars better than others however. I love a Padron 1964 Anniversary natural in their Principe vitola.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I like smaller vitolas, mostly due to time and attention. Something like 42 X 5 is ideal and can smoke for an hour easy. I'm open to other sizes too. Robusto and Corona Gorda are about as big as I'll go usually

I also smoke minis on my drive home

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
So, my strategy has changed a bit now that I am not buying as many boxes, and getting more singles. My favorite sizes are coronas and lonsdales, like between 5.5-6.5 inches and a 42-46 RG are ideal. But generally those sizes aren't real popular at B&Ms, and when they have them, a toro or Churchill is usually only a buck or two more. With my reduced budget and number of cigars I am smoking, I have been going for bigger sticks so that each experience lasts a bit longer.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'll smoke any size/shape but mostly I buy toro/toro gordo size.

I used to buy Churchills a lot but backed off after I noticed I was usually only smoking them halfway.

Some sizes suit some cigars better than others however. I love a Padron 1964 Anniversary natural in their Principe vitola.

It's definitely true that some blends are better in certain sizes than others. When the My Father version of Fonseca came out, I smoked through a bunch of the Cosacos (corona) and loved them. Since then, I've tried a couple of the Cedros (toro) at my local B&M and they've been disappointing. In my experience, it is the larger sizes that seem to disappoint more often. I don't think I've ever had a size of the Padron 1964 line that's better than the Principes.

I suspect this has something to do with availability of wrapper leaf that is big and pristine enough to work on the larger sizes, and the smaller sizes allow the blenders and factory workers to be a bit more choosy. No idea of there's any truth to it or not.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
Cigarillos for time (don't underestimate Black and Mild or the other cheap packs).

I just don't have time for a large cigar and dislike the flavor lighting up the next day or two.

I'm a fan of Black & Milds, and I even have a few boxes of Swisher Giants put back. Those aren't bad smokes.

BUT, If you look around and try a few brands of cheap handmades, you can find real decent, full sized cigars for around a buck and a half... Some even with long filler. Nothing wrong with the short filler cigars either though.

At a buck fifty, I can throw one down after smoking half, and not be sick about it.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm a fan of Black & Milds, and I even have a few boxes of Swisher Giants put back. Those aren't bad smokes.

BUT, If you look around and try a few brands of cheap handmades, you can find real decent, full sized cigars for around a buck and a half... Some even with long filler. Nothing wrong with the short filler cigars either though.

At a buck fifty, I can throw one down after smoking half, and not be sick about it.
Spill the tea with suggestions, my friend.

Do they still make Swisher Kings? I used to enjoy those while studying and the long walks around campus. Sigh ... memories.