PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mog69

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
Hi all, being new to pipe tobaccos, I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for a tobacco that has the taste / smell of cigar. I guess I may not be explaining this correctly, but I've tried searching the web / tobacconists with no luck. A good few years back I remember a guy smoking a pipe in my local pub and it smelt like cigars.

I hope I'm not sounding to much of a dunce :?

Jul 15, 2011
As far as a blend that will replicate the exact taste of a high quality cigar, you may have a hard time finding something that fits your taste buds. You could always try a blend that has cigar leaf in it, though. Cornell and Diehls Billy Budd is a great smoke but is very stout, very strong and high in nicotine. You could also try the following:
John Pattons Storm Front

GL Pease Key Largo

Cornell and Diehl Habana Daydream

McClelland Dominican Glory

McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro

Cornell and Diehl Purple Cow
All of these have cigar leaf as an ingredient but the differing components in each blend will make the taste very different between each one. Hope this helps.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
The truest Cigar Pipe Tobacco I've found is "Vooroogst", which I bought in the Netherlands:

ab86d3d1b5e48f91b1db39d6755fed92_4.jpg

It's a pure blend of Java tobacco leafs from Lumadjang, Java, Indonesia, usually found as a Sumatra wrapper on premium cigars like Rocky Patel, Sol Cubano, or Don Carlos.
The appearance is brown, green shaggy cut. The tin smell is outstanding: figs, raisins, nutty, deep earthy, rich pure tobacco, dark chocolate, caramel. The actual smoke comes very close in flavor profile to some of my favorite cigars: Partagas Serie D No 4, and Arturo Fuente's Chateau Fuente.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Funny this is brought up, I was smoking yesterday and got what I describe as a cigar like taste. I got a little worried it was because the B&M I picked it up from has a huge cigar smoking room in front and it was somehow getting into the barrels. Not sure if that was the case or because this is a strong blend, in his words.
The blend I was smoking is Black Gold Plus... I love ths stuff, my favorite so far by miles!!! I found that it could be found on an online retailer also but not sure if it s the same stuff or just the same name.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Normally, if I want the taste of a cigar, I just smoke a cigar or smoke a piece of cigar in a pipe. However, I enjoy C&D's Habana Daydream (not everyone's cup-o'-tea) and enjoy the cigar leaf in that. HD is kind of a hybrid English blend. HD is strong and satisfying like Billy Bud but also has Perique, which I enjoy.

Dec 24, 2012
I enjoy Key Largo. There is also Stormfront - it is a burley blend but has some cigar leaf added. If I want a pure cigar taste, then I just smoke a cigar.

mog69

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
Many thanks everyone for your insight and information.

It's much appreciated, and I think I'll order a few samples of the above tobaccos for me to try.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
@hfearly: thanks for the tip, sounds interesting!
It looks like it might not be availae in the US, so I'll add it to my "if I see it while traveling" list.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I tend not to like pipe tobacco that tastes too much like a cigar (even though I can appreciate a cigar on its own). Key Largo was way too much for me. But I can definitely recommend GLPease's Robusto.
My favorite in this style, though, is Robert Lewis's 123 Mixture, which contains Havana leaf and is a simply wonderful medium-weight English.
Bob

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Mclellends Dominican maduro glory is probably my favourite tobacco I've tried. Also black sea sokoum grand orientals has cigar like properties, especially the mouth feel which numbs your tongue almost like a good cigar does

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Key largo is a good one to try. It has a great blend of red virginias and a heavy dose of cigar leaf!

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
new to the briar, but fairly well traveled in the humidor. i recommend dunhill nightcap: sweet, spice, rich oily texture, reminds me of high end nicaraguan, beautiful balance of brawn and delicacy.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Having gotten into some CAO cigars and smoking a pipe for a few years now I can say that there really isn't a pipe tobacco that compares to a cigar blend, but you can find numerous pipe blends with cigar leaf in them as mentioned above. Another thing to keep in mind is maybe getting some bulk tobaccos and mixing them with one of your favorite mid-range cigars and trying to make your own blend. That way you can add in as much cigar leaf as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.