New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

What IS a cigar leaf tobacco? Just curious. LeRoy
Cigar leaf is fermented leaf from specific varieties of tobacco cultivated specifically for rolling cigars. It can be added to pipe tobacco blends also.
If you are wondering about blenders sold in tins labelled cigar leaf, it can be anything from Connecticut leaf to maduro.

Did you have something more specific in mind?

I love to smoke cigars as well. Especially Maduros. Sounds good. Can you recommend any cigar leaf pipe tobaccos? Thanks, LeRoy
YES!!! I’m a Habana Daydream guy. C&D makes it. I’ve smoked it all summer. Some good smoke.

Also, GLPs Key Largo. Smoking at the beach for me just isn’t the same without a tin of this.

I’m smoking some C&D Purple Cow right now. Pretty good. I’ll buy a few more tins, but I’m not flipping out over it.

But, try Habana Daydream. I think you’ll like it.

Just don’t expect it to be just like a cigar. You get most of the cigar experience from the taste of the leaf on your lips. You obviously don’t get that from the pipe. But, if you try them with an open mind, you just might find cigar blends to be a new, better experience. Let us know which ones you try, and what you think.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm pretty sure Samuel Gawith Brown No. 4 Twist has cigar leaf in it. Tastes like it does, anyway.
a lot of burlys have a cigar leaf quality and even some Virginia occasionally give me hints of cigar. And I could be wrong but sometimes how it's prepared and handled is what makes certain leaf cigar leaf. I know that some of the stuff that's grown in PA is used for cigars and chew but both are processed very differently.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
a lot of burlys have a cigar leaf quality and even some Virginia occasionally give me hints of cigar. And I could be wrong but sometimes how it's prepared and handled is what makes certain leaf cigar leaf. I know that some of the stuff that's grown in PA is used for cigars and chew but both are processed very differently.
I’ve also noticed from homegrown that the same leaf can taste quite different depending on the cut. I wonder how much of the flavour profiles we associate with cigars (in non cigar leaf varieties) has to do with the lengths of leaf we are burning.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I’ve also noticed from homegrown that the same leaf can taste quite different depending on the cut. I wonder how much of the flavour profiles we associate with cigars (in non cigar leaf varieties) has to do with the lengths of leaf we are burning.
The other thing that smoking homegrown has really brought home for me, is that the flavours I associate with cigars is the flavour of TOBACCO...almost regardless of variety. I just did not really understand this until after a season of smoking homegrown, and since that my palate seems to pick up (previously undetected) cigar like notes in various commercial virginia and/or burley blends.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
John Patton's Storm Front is one of my favorites. As mentioned, 4Noggins regularly carries it. Seems very well balanced and does not overpower with anything. Especially good for someone sticking their toe into the pool of cigar leafed pipe tobacco.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I haven't grown cigar leaf but I've purchased plenty of different wrapper and filler leaf for blending experiments. I was able to get some interesting pipe tobacco flavors to be sure, although none really tasted like a cigar.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Well, yeh, some straight burleys will have some of those cigar notes. But, a cigar blend isn't really trying to be a cigar in pipe form. It is used as a condimental to accompany the other leaf in creating a new experience.

Now, if you just want something similar to smoking a cigar... McConnel's Madura or their Pure caribe.
Or, I find that smoking Tabac De La Semois: Reserve du Patron is very much like smoking a cigar. But, keep in mind that without that leaf touching your lips, it's not going to be but a simulation, sometimes falling way short of hitting the mark.

GH&co Dark Flake unscented has some cigar notes as well, but if you're not prepared for the lakeland essence, you might just think you sucked on a dirty rag that your wife used to clean up after your daughters were playing in her cosmetics. Ha ha.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In a pipe, you get a cigar taste from cigar leaf, but it doesn't taste like a cigar, but it is an excellent blending tobacco and everyone should keep a jar. C&D makes a good cigar leaf, and their Billy Budd has cigar leaf to good effect.