PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I just read the following review of C&D Billy Bud on Tobaccoreviews.com
thomasanswered 06/24/2011 Medium None detected Medium Pleasant

Wanting a blend that would allow my cigar-acclimated tastes to be inexpensively satisfied, I tried this one. I was aware that some had complained that the formula must have been changed from what it was at first, it supposedly not now as good as it was. And though not having experienced those golden days myself, I was undeterred.

I found that the cigar and latakia were counterpoised so that I was not satisfied I had either firmly in hand. I enjoy a heavy Camacho cigar, and in pipe I prefer a solid latakia. Neither craving was satisfied by Billy Budd.
I have taken to adding cigars to English blends (Old Ironsides, Ten Russians, etc.) and have found my humble efforts much more satisfying.
I found this interesting because I have come to the same conclusion.
This morning I'm smoking a sample of Sterling's My Buddy. I've also smoked Billy Bud, and I've smoked Dominican Glory Maduro. They are all OK but none are outstanding. When I want a good cigar I gravitate towards a Partagas Black Label Magnifico. I always have a box on hand. I find that the cigar leaf in pipe tobacco is not up to my standard of a good cigar. So I always have some Partagas leaf flaked in a jar and I add it to C&D Engine 99. That is my solution to a good cigar leaf in a pipe tobacco blend. Looks like the pipe smoker I've highlighted above does the same. Just thought you guys might think this one over for yourselves.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I really enjoy Dominican Glory, and Dominican Glory Maduro. I'm gonna have to try adding a bit of cigar leaf to my favourite blends too.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
As a follow up to my first post, I enjoyed Sterlings My Buddy the best of the three blends I mentioned. I believe the quality of the cigar leaf is closest to the maduro/oscuro leaf I use in my personal blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.