Cigar Leaf: Does it belong in Pipe Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Castello Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Is cigar tobacco processed differently when it's going to be used in a pipe tobacco blend? I roll my own cigars and have some scraps and trimmings that I could use.

ATLpipe

Lurker
Aug 24, 2022
This thread is a good reminder to me to give it a shot. I'm going to add a few of these tins to my next order and see

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I enjoy a cigar. But i’d rather enjoy that flavor in a pipe. Everytime I smoke a cigar, I wish I was smoking my pipe.

I love cigar lead blends because of this.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I was just talking to someone else about this the other day. I love cigars and so am drawn to the idea of cigar leave in pipe tobacco, but most of the blends I’ve had with it have been kind of meh, with the exception of McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro, but I’m not sure it was the cigar leaf that made that blend amazing.

sobranie759

Lurker
Jun 5, 2013
For you "old timers" , you may remember Sailorman Jack. Jack was a great guy who was the MC of the New York Pipe show for years. Jack loved adding cigar leaf to blends. Yes, "Billy Budd" was called Sailorman's blend, but rumor has it that Jack's cigar leaf blend was a little different . The New York Pipe club put out their own blends years ago. One was called Jack's Shanty. You guessed it, this was another variation of Jack's blend. Unfortunately, Jack passed away a number of years ago. As I understand it, Jack moved to Ohio and was taken in by Premal of Smoker's Haven until his passing. Jack would frequent the old pipe smokers forum with his morning smoke which on many occasion was Smoker's Haven's Best Blend with cigar leaf that Jack added. Premal did such a nice thing for Jack in his last years. Premal.....you are a hero for helping Jack
On my tours of the NYC pipe shops in the early days I would run into Jack at the old Wilke store where he would hang out smoking his cigar / latakia blend. I have his original recipe someplace.
Sobranie had a cigar leaf blend in a yellow tin. I smoked a fair amount of this blend back in the day.
Cigar leaf can add a wonderful dimension to a blend if used correctly.