PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I will add that even though I get a nice easy draw with a v cutter, and I don't experience any concentration/build-up issues, I do find myself "spinning" my cigar everytime I pick it up or the like in order to line up the cut with my mouth.
I rotate my cigar while smoking anyway (some old advice about it helping the burn, but who knows), but I cannot have the v-cut aligned vertically in my mouth. Only horizontally.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Wait, you’re supposed to cut them?

A ha ha.

I remember back in my high school daze, a friend brought a fat cigar over to a party. We had no idea you had to cut the cap off, and ended up lighting it backwards. Ah, glory days.

I’ve never used anything other than a straight guillotine style cutter, and don’t understand the reasons to use anything else.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have got one of these bullet cigar punches on my key chain. I have only used it on cigars with relatively small ring gauge, using a guillotine cutter on larger ring gauge cigars.

I'm going to try the cigar punch on larger ring gauge cigars now just to see if I like it.
cu298-1.jpg

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have got one of these bullet cigar punches on my key chain. I have only used it on cigars with relatively small ring gauge, using a guillotine cutter on larger ring gauge cigars.

I'm going to try the cigar punch on larger ring gauge cigars now just to see if I like it.
View attachment 68351
Try it and you might like it! I rarely smoke anything thicker than a 54 RG, but I would only use a punch or v-cutter on some of those thick cigars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not up with the nomenclature -- one of those little double-blade devices with holes for the fingers, though I've always suspected a sharp folding knife does a better job. Not a big cigar smoker, so haven't perfected my cutting.

Skatutakee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2021
Massachusetts / New Hampshire
Guillotine most of the time, though I like a V-cut occasionally just for a change. But, at least with my cutter, the V-cut has ring gauge limits. Smaller than about 48, it takes too big a bite. Larger than about 54, I need two perpendicular cuts to get a proper draw. But I rarely venture outside those limits anyway. I cordially dislike punches.

Oh, and personally I would never V-cut a torpedo. Straight cut at 45 degrees for those.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I like the punch style. Seems easier and less messy. With the guillotine cutter I have, (maybe it's just cheap) but it just smashes the ends, and creates a huge mess and an uneven cut.

Plus my punch cutter, goes on my keychain.

Reactions: JOHN72

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have a nice little pair of scissors for my Torpedos, Belicoso's and perfecto's. For everything else, I prefer the double blade guillotine.
I don't like V-cutters or punches, too many bad experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.