PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If all these payments have been through PayPal, and you see a record in PayPal, that payment was sent, then it’s a PayPal screw up.

So you would contact PayPal to inform them, as well as the vendor, to contact PayPal, since they are the one handling the transaction for both sender and receiver.

And the reason I am saying this, because if a vendor accepts PayPal, then they have an account with them, which means vendors should be taking up the issue with PayPal, not you.

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well...

To recap:
I ordered two boxes of Man-O-War Puro Authenticos back in December of last year, I paid with PayPal, and CI shipped the cigars. Five months later, in May of this year, CI contacted me and said that I never paid for the cigar order. Indeed, a search of my PayPal account showed that CI never collected their money from PayPal. Although I felt that this was really an issue between CI and PayPal, I paid the invoice.

A few weeks ago, four months after I paid them, my daughter takes a cryptic call from someone who claims she's with CI and that I owe them for cigars I bought last year, and can she give them my credit card info. I called them back and told them this backstory, but they were insistent that I still owed them $120. I told them to mail me another invoice. That was weeks ago, and the invoice arrived today. Sure enough, it's for the cigars bought in December that they never collected for, that I paid for in May. No date of purchase on it, or order number. Just a demand for payment.

I have a receipt for the May payment of this invoice, but CI still insists it was never paid. I hope I don't have to hire a lawyer to deal with this.

CI's Accounts Receivable must be in total chaos. I can't imagine how much free stuff they must inadvertently send out every year.

@blendtobac

Last edited:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well...

To recap:
I ordered two boxes of Man-O-War Puro Authenticos back in December of last year, I paid with PayPal, and CI shipped the cigars. Five months later, in May of this year, CI contacted me and said that I never paid for the cigar order. Indeed, a search of my PayPal account showed that CI never collected their money from PayPal. Although I felt that this was really an issue between CI and PayPal, I paid the invoice.

A few weeks ago, four months after I paid them, my daughter takes a cryptic call from someone who claims she's with CI and that I owe them for cigars I bought last year, and can she give them my credit card info. I called them back and told them this backstory, but they were insistent that I still owed them $120. I told them to mail me another invoice. That was weeks ago, and the invoice arrived today. Sure enough, it's for the cigars bought in December that they never collected for, that I paid for in May. No date of purchase on it, or order number. Just a demand for payment.

I have a receipt for the May payment of this invoice, but CI still insists it was never paid. I hope I don't have to hire a lawyer to deal with this.

CI's Accounts Receivable must be in total chaos. I can't imagine how much free stuff they must inadvertently send out every year.

@blendtobac
It's almost hard to believe they are that screwed up. I haven't made a purchase from them for quite a while...doubt I ever will again now.

• Sad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
UPDATE!
(read my previous post(s) above to get the entire backstory)

I received a collections letter from a shyster in Texas today, working on behalf of CI. Despite having dealt with this CI billing screw ups months ago, and proven to them that they are at fault, and this invoice was paid nine months ago when they first informed me of their failure to collect the funds from PayPal, they continue to harass me. I'm thinking I need to hand this over to a lawyer for a lawsuit. What says you?

@condorlover1

Ci Collections_0003.jpg

CI Paypal 5-23_Page_1 redacted.jpg

CI-Dan Johnson 9-18-2023.jpg

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
UPDATE!

I received a collections letter from a shyster in Texas today, working on behalf of CI. Despite having dealt with this CI billing screw ups months ago, and proven to them that they are at fault, and this invoice was paid nine months ago when they first informed me of their failure to collect the funds from PayPal, they continue to harass me. I'm thinking I need to hand this over to a lawyer for a lawsuit. What says you?

@condorlover1

View attachment 292939

View attachment 292940

View attachment 292942
It's unfortunate that one of the biggest retailers in the space has gone so far down hill. For every 10 people who are very vocal about the fact that they've never had an issue, there's ones like this that are so horrible it completely negates any positive experiences. I haven't done business with P&C or CI for about 5 years now, and I don't have any intention to start back. Especially while issues like this persist.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
UPDATE!

@condorlover1

View attachment 292939

View attachment 292940

View attachment 292942

The irony is CI sent me $120 out of the blue. Funny coincidence, huh? I tried to explain that I haven’t done business with them for years but they insisted I keep the money “so we can balance our books”.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The irony is CI sent me $120 out of the blue. Funny coincidence, huh? I tried to explain that I haven’t done business with them for years but they insisted I keep the money “so we can balance our books”.
Jon, was it for $120.09 ???

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
UPDATE!

@condorlover1

View attachment 292939

View attachment 292940

View attachment 292942
Dang I had forgotten about this thread; thanks for giving us an update. I’ve only shopped at P&C once but that’s enough after reading about your experience.

I don’t know about taking legal action but I’m sure someone else doesn’t. (I don’t mean don’t take any legal action, I mean I personally know nothing about law stuff 😅)

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
This photograph reminds me of a family story:
1709428691165.png

When the woman who became my maternal grandmother was young and single, she worked nights as a telephone company switchboard operator in a very small town. The office was on the second floor of an old building and she was alone. There was no air-conditioning and this summer night was both hot and humid, so she removed her dress and was clothed only in her undergarments.

Sometime past 9:00 p.m. the board buzzed and a light flashed. She answered the call and was greeted by a lineman for the company who was working to solve an outage problem. He had her ring the number, and his repair proved successful. Afterward, they chatted for a bit, then he said he bet that he could describe her, based upon only the sound of her voice. He correctly identified her approximate height and the fact that she had auburn-colored hair. He also accurately described her dress (which was neatly folded over a chair).

Amazed, she asked him how he could possibly know these things. "It's easy," he said. "I'm on the pole outside of your office window!"

They were married a few months later. :)

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm thinking I need to hand this over to a lawyer for a lawsuit. What says you?
It's an expensive way to go, unless your lawyer is also a friend. I suppose you could have a letter drafted to both CI and the collection agency (collection agencies hate to get in the middle of something like this as there's no money in it for them) but if there's another way to settle this, try that route.

Since they haven't collected the PayPal payment you could claw back the payment and send them $120 in pennies.

• Love

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
UPDATE!

@condorlover1

View attachment 292939

View attachment 292940

View attachment 292942
Dan, Before you waste more money; send copies to your state's department of Consumer Protection and file a complaint if you are upset enough to file a complaint. Also check to see if the attorney is licensed to practice in your state or if the lawfirm is registered as a collection agent in your state, if not that may be a violation of the Fair Debt Collections practices act as is attempting to collect on a paid debt and you could be entitled to a money award for the violation. Even if they are registered or licensed if they report you to any third party you may have an action for slander of credit. P.S. The court entry fee to sue you in small claims is probably greater than the debt. I think we have a member here in Humansville who is a lawyer.

Finally,

1709433583310.png

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Dan, Before you waste more money; send copies to your state's department of Consumer Protection and file a complaint if you are upset enough to file a complaint. Also check to see if the attorney is licensed to practice in your state or if the lawfirm is registered as a collection agent in your state, if not that may be a violation of the Fair Debt Collections practices act as is attempting to collect on a paid debt and you could be entitled to a money award for the violation. Even if they are registered or licensed if they report you to any third party you may have an action for slander of credit. P.S. The court entry fee to sue you in small claims is probably greater than the debt. I think we have a member here in Humansville who is a lawyer.

Finally,

View attachment 292987
And :ROFLMAO:
Thank you. All good info.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Geez, what a hassle. Had this happen with PC a few years ago. The bookkeeper took off 10% on the amount they never charged my Amex (did some checks and balances and they were right) for 5 months before and were apologetic. I always use my Amex with Cigarbid (CI sister co.) because Amex will go to bat for you. Chargebacks, etc. for mainly wrong orders sent and not resolved by companies. I realize this is not your situation, but I have no faith in PP CS. Never had a problem with Cigarbid with many large orders put through since 2004. Some of those Man o Wars are really good. Get them for less at cbid.