PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I have one churchwarden. It is one of two new pipes I have, new as in bought new instead of as an estate pipe. Other than cobs of course, everyone needs a pile of MM cobs.
The churchwarden is just a cheap one, but it was the only one I could find that I could afford at the time. It is nice looking and I enjoy smoking it. It has it's own place of honor too...
37289775124_ac7cfb254f_k_d.jpg

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
A churchwarden offers a slightly cooler smoke...simply due to the stem serving as a considerably longer path for the smoke to travel through...providing a lot more surface area for absorbing and dispersing heat from the smoke. I too have a Stanny HCA with both the standard stem and long...the long smokes at least twice as cool.
As far as a recommendation, depends on what you care to spend. Along with the Stanwell (which ran me about $100 as an estate that I restored), I've got one of each of the Dr. Grabow churchwardens...these were made in the 1930's & 40's. Quality on these is very good, they smoke well, and you can typically nab one of these between $40 - $75 on eBay. There are a few Savinelli (both new AND used) wardens on eBay currently for buy-it-now prices under a hundred shipped. Personally...I'd avoid lower-end wardens which are often offered in a fancy silk lined box and a low price (such as Lucienne or F.E.S.S), because they're typically not well made...finished with a thick varnish...usually made of pear (not my preference)...and have a long cheap stem which is often 'covered' in a wrap which in some cases makes them 'appear' to be wooden stems...but it's actually just a long sticker covering it, much like contact paper. :roll:
I too find a warden the choice for when I'm relaxing and not otherwise involved.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
They are definitely an acquired taste. I have two, a GBD and this 1950's Kaywoodie.

The Kaywoodie is tricky to smoke, it's so long and not a heavy bend. I break it out for Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays.
I'd sell the GBD cheap if you are interested, it's a bit smaller.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I love homebrewed "cobwardens"
1G6ZxbW.jpg

Shorter ones are less unwieldy but don't smoke as cool.
fAZN7Ye.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I like churchwardens. I had a room mate who tried pipes but was deathly reactive to tobacco of any kind. He gave me his churchwarden. Then I had a pipe that was cheap and just screamed to be a warden, so I had a stem made for it. After that, I acquired a few more. I have a Jan Zeman, a Linkman's Grabow I need to work on the stem of, and a Dunhill 5603 Chestnut I got from Bruce in his downsizing.
Love them all.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have a petite apple shaped pipe with two different churchwarden stems (one colorful and one more subdued) made by Heisenberg Pipes. I am not a huge fan of churchwardens for every day use, but having custom made stems that are thin like my normal clenchers is quite nice. Definitely more useful than many others.

PipeMarc

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
South East
Churchwardens are an excellent choice for a cool comfortable smoke. Less chances of tongue bit while still learning

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
All the perspective provided above, a churchwarden is a "sitting" pipe. Light it, sit in your favorite place, and let the world wander by. Contemplate or let your mind go blank, no matter.
I have one, a Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson (changeable stems) - and I prefer it as a churchwarden because it's a "sitting" pipe.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My son smokes his churchwarden much more often than I smoke mine. But, I have 30-40 pipes and he has 2. He only smokes it at our pipe club, sitting around a table, talking to other guys.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I have 2 briar churchwardens, a Savinelli and a Chacom. Both fine smokers that I like to pull out every few weeks and sit back and enjoy. I also have two of the MM cobbits which are also fine smokers and they have probably gotten more use throughout the time I've owned them than the briar churchwardens I have.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a Meerschaum that is pretty close to a churchwarden in length and I have smoked it 3 times in 20 years I think. Besides the length being unwieldy the stem sucks on this thing. I bought it before I had a clue as to what a good stem was like. If you are going to buy a churchwarden, make sure the thing has a comfortable stem.
DSC09703.jpg

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
img_0034-600x450.jpg

Got this one from a car boot sale with some other pipe stuff.

It’s not as long as some, but a fine French pipe.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I have 2 Savinelli, 1 Peterson, and 1 Boswell churchwarden. I smoke one once or twice a month for a change of pace. Not the greatest smokers, but not bad either. My kids are fascinated by them.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Sold all of mine after getting a cob one, so much easier to clean(not clean). This Cobbit Wizard gets smoked somewhat regularly.
20170212_025436-600x337.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.