PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2015
If the right one turns up at the right moment I would probably consider it but since I’m not actually looking for one the odds are against it.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I value quite highly the use of a churchwarden for the last pipe of an evening; when one is reclining they allow for a most comfortable, relaxing smoke. As others have stated, they are a most perfect companion whilst reading a book in repose. I've heard them referred to as 'reading pipes' for this very reason. I believe the primary function of the long stem apart from providing an exceptionally cool smoke is to allow for the smoker to thoroughly relax, without the necessity of the raised hand or clenched teeth. I highly recommend the addition of at least one churchwarden to your collection, though be advised that there are a great many inferior products on the market due to their novelty and popularization through Peter Jackson's Tolkien adaptations.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I have a "slightly shorter" churchwarden (don't know if it has another name, but I've posted the picture and the forum members called a churchwarden, so...).
Anyway, I think it makes for a more relaxing and less rushed smoke, in my opinion.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
You could always get one that has two stems, one a churchwarden and one not. If you don't like the churchwarden stem it isn't a total loss. The Hans Christian Andersen pipe by Stanwell was mentioned earlier in the thread.
Let the reader beware: I've never owned a churchwarden.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I have several clay church wardens. Nice pipes that provide a cool smoke. That said, I rarely smoke them. That extra length makes them inconvenient when moving around. I much prefer shorter stem clays.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I have a particular set of skills.
And I'd still put my damn eye out with one of those.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Still not sure I'm a deep thinker enough for one. Since it seems like so many people make them I guess I better try one and see. I can always suck on one will I read LOTR I guess.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I Believe (strongly) that every pipe smoker needs a churchwarden. They are not practical and sometimes nerdy, but damnit, we all search them out, we all wonder “what if” and we all watched LOTR and admired Gandalf. So I say own it! Get it! Rock it! Smoke it! And then realize it is probably not the most smoked piece in your collection. It’s a right of passage. That one mistake we all must make to post advise for future generations.
All kidding aside, I freaking love my churchwarden by Ser Jacopo. It is a massive bowl size, think group 6 or larger. It sat around unloved for a few years as I wondered along on my pipe journey. Then I woke up and realized how much I enjoy it while reading Sherlock Holmes or watching cheesy binge episodes on Netflix.

s4ybFhB.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As of my experience with churchwarden and Calabash pipes they may do better when loaded with strong nicotine rich tobaccoes otherwise the taste kinda little too mild (airy) for my preferences and this is only my experience,I have one pretty long-shanked Canadian and somehow I do feel that one too asks for bolder blends, go figure.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I also went with a MM Shire Cobbit, just to try a churchwarden without spending much. They're light enough to go hands free if you want.

cobbit_collection_shire_corn_cob_pipe.jpg

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I have a few and enjoy them occasionally. To me, although they get less use than a beater pipe, they are still an essential part of my pipe collection.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Was gonna say, try a MM Cobbit to see if you like the style. I have 1 full size churchwarden that I rarely use but it is nice to break out every so often and feel like a wizard for awhile.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I have 2 Savinelli Church Wardens and love them. One is a Quandale, and the other is a Billiard with a longer, more bent stem than the Quandale. Just something about the relaxing feeling of that long stem, and the smoke a bit more out of your face. A very relaxing pipe style indeed...at least for me.
CW

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I enjoy my churchwardens. I don't smoke anything as often as I'd like, and wardens suffer even more from time constraints. Once I have my man cave finished, or this summer when I am finally done with school, I would like nothing more than to chill on the deck and smoke a churchwarden.
Everyone should have one for variety, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.