PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
C + D Old St. Nicholas is actually pretty good. As is We Three Kings.
Just bought My Christmas Peterson Copper Spigot 106 today thinking I will only smoke Christmas Aros through it to give the kids some scent nostalgia. I was gifted some "we three kings" by a forum member , wondering will it ghost and if so will it ghost so bad that other Aros will taste bad ? I have a "jolly old St. Nick" I'm gonna let cellar till next year. Do you smoke them in the same pipe with no problems? My only experience with Aros is Cap Black and 1Q and I didn't like them to say the least.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just bought My Christmas Peterson Copper Spigot 106 today thinking I will only smoke Christmas Aros through it to give the kids some scent nostalgia. I was gifted some "we three kings" by a forum member , wondering will it ghost and if so will it ghost so bad that other Aros will taste bad ? I have a "jolly old St. Nick" I'm gonna let cellar till next year. Do you smoke them in the same pipe with no problems? My only experience with Aros is Cap Black and 1Q and I didn't like them to say the least.
We Three Kings is so lightly flavored that I doubt you'll even notice it when smoking another blend.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I don't mind Virginia/Perique blends as long as they're not using Red Virginias in the blend. I like those by themselves.
What do you think of the McCrannies Red Ribbon? a 2017 was the smoothest Ive had so far. I too would like to hear your thoughts if there is anything in the ballpark these days of the beloved "Christmas Cheer" of yesteryear...Love that dedicated pipe btw...

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
What do you think of the McCrannies Red Ribbon?
Being a McClelland product, I loved it.

I too would like to hear your thoughts if there is anything in the ballpark these days of the beloved "Christmas Cheer"
Some swear by 2019 Cringle Flake. It was very good but no where close to Christmas Cheer. Other than 40th Anniversary, which I still think was intended to be a Christmas Cheer entry, I can think of nothing available like it.

yesteryear...Love that dedicated pipe btw...
Thanks! It's carver was a dear friend prior to passing away and we butted heads over the "organic" accent not going to look right with a vintage red bakelite stem, but when it was finished, he loved it. There was a funny chain of threads after its completion in 2016 because I received it in May and held off smoking it until Christmas morning.

cOaWWRU_d.webp

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho

Some swear by 2019 Cringle Flake. It was very good but no where close to Christmas Cheer. Other than 40th Anniversary, which I still think was intended to be a Christmas Cheer entry, I can think of nothing available like it.

Thanks! It's carver was a dear friend prior to passing away and we butted heads over the "organic" accent not going to look right with a vintage red bakelite stem, but when it was finished, he loved it. There was a funny chain of threads after its completion in 2016 because I received it in May and held off smoking it until Christmas morning.

cOaWWRU_d.webp
Aw ,and the matching tamper too .
I'm sorry to hear of your friends passing he made a beautiful pipe what a legacy.
I'm holding off my Ser Jacopo till my 50th, totally understand, a christening can be very important.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
a christening can be very important.
A good chunk of the forum has fun with that.😁

Reactions: vosBghos and FLDRD

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California

cOaWWRU_d.webp
Damn thats nice

Jun 9, 2018
England
Not a Christmas release as it's available all year round but I really like smoking Gawith Rum Flake over the holidays.

I've got quite a few of the Christmas editions from Peterson, Rattray's and a few different Christmas Cheers. They're only available on the secondary market, tho.

I haven't seen any Christmas special editions in the UK this year apart from the Samuel Gawith one. It's very nice but i've already got some in the cellar. I don't think Peterson have made a Holiday blend since the pandemic hit.

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Thats a great question! I am not really into aromatic blends, but if you can get your hands on Christmas Cheer you wont be disappointed. At least, thats what I've been told :0

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
I’ll join in with others here who’ve said the same, Country Squire’s Figgy Pudding and Cordial Friends are fantastic.
As great of an all-day aromatic smoke as I’ve ever had, and I regularly buy around a pound each to tide me over until next Christmas. For a person who generally doesn’t lean towards aromatics, I was quite a fan of their Old Toby, but these two blends blow it out of the water in flavor and composition, and it isn’t sticky with casing, and to my palate, doesn’t have any goddamn perique within.
Also, I’m not an inside piper, but on blustery days I do have to light up within my mud room before I step out, and the room note on these blends are so pleasant, again, the most pleasant I’ve found in years of piping. These blends usurped my favorite holiday aromatic from its place as easily as anything, and I highly recommend trying them so that they might do the same for you.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
I love those old depictions of Santa.
Interestingly, it wasnt until I was an adult that I looked back on those old vintage pictures of Santa and realized that Santa smoked a pipe!

As a kid, I either overlooked it or it didnt matter. The same is true for the snowman with the corn cob pipe.

I wonder how these early impressions influenced as later in life as pipe smokers....

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Interestingly, it wasnt until I was an adult that I looked back on those old vintage pictures of Santa and realized that Santa smoked a pipe!

As a kid, I either overlooked it or it didnt matter. The same is true for the snowman with the corn cob pipe.

I wonder how these early impressions influenced as later in life as pipe smokers....
The way that popular media has portrayed pipe smoking definetely has a influence over how people regard pipe smoking. It has a completely different vibe than how cigarettes are portrayed (more cool, compared to the calm cozy old man feeling that pipes have). The aesthetics was definitely one of the reasons why I wanted to try a pipe, but not the reason why I continue smoking.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The way that popular media has portrayed pipe smoking definetely has a influence over how people regard pipe smoking. It has a completely different vibe than how cigarettes are portrayed (more cool, compared to the calm cozy old man feeling that pipes have). The aesthetics was definitely one of the reasons why I wanted to try a pipe, but not the reason why I continue smoking.
I mainly like it as a way to enjoy tobacco on the go. Cigarettes are more for my down time or when I'm waking up. More time to deal with rolling them correctly and ashes.