PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Santa Clause (1 & 2, not 3), Donovan's Reef, Christmas Carol (1938 version), Holiday Affair (Robert Mitchum, Janet Leigh, Wendell Corey), & Nightmare Before Christmas.

I like almost all mentioned, but especially... Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas

emmet-otter.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I try to watch this every year. I think it is very well done and as a bonus Dr. Bashir from Deep Space 9 plays the angel Gabriel.
220px-The_Nativity_Story.jpg

We just watched the Polar Express with the kids. I found the animation to be a little... distracting.
polarexpress_header_glitched.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
The Die Hards, the Home Alone movies with the kids, perhaps Love Actually with the fiancée. And I recently discovered a gem of an animated short film that I've watched about 10 times with my youngest. She doesn't tire of it and neither do I. I seldom find movies "cute", but this one is. Angelas' Christmas, I think the title is.

And Bad Santa for a night with whisky.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I watch White Christmas every year for my Christmas fix.
I also watch The Ref and Die Hard. Any other movies are targets of opportunity.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The Christmas Chronicles

A Christmas Carol - 1951 Alistar Sims version

A Christmas Carol - George C. Scott Version

The Man Who Invented Christmas
and of course the animated features: Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer, Frosty, etc. and my favorite Yes, Virginia There is a Santa Claus.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
In no particular order:
White Christmas

A Christmas Carol (I prefer Basil Rathbone and Patrick Stewart)

A Christmas Story

Home Alone

Christmas With the Kranks
The cartoons:
Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

The Grinch
Cheers,
Chili

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I assiduously avoided "Elf" for years. The trailers and clips looked corny and sentimental. Someone on a news show recommended it, so we took a look, thinking to turn it off, but it is surprisingly good, sweet, sardonic, and funny. Re-read "A Christmas Carol." It's a whole new story in the original. Also, unrelated to Christmas, re-read Mary Shelly's "Frankenstein." The movies derive from it, but the novel is a different and much richer experience, a real tragic dramatic depth.

Jun 4, 2014
A Christmas Story is still my favorite, it's just not Christmas unit I hear Santa say "You'll shoot your eye out kid! Merry Christmas!"

Jan 8, 2013
A lot of great movies and shows have been mentioned. I've been intending to check out The Man Who Invented Christmas. And I really want to watch Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas. I loved that one when I was a child, and haven't seen it in many years.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
National lampoons and a christmas story always big favorites around my house

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Local christmas parade couple years ago guy had a station wagon like the griswalds with the tree rootball and all strapped on it was pretty funny

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Every Christmas season there are a few MUST watches:
Home Alone
The Rankin Bass Christmas specials (I have two DVD sets of them)
Charlie Brown's Christmas Special
Sherlock Holmes: The Blue Carbuncle (Jeremy Brett version, a priceless gem jammed in a Christmas goose to steal... it's a goodie)
The Santa Clause with Tim Allen, classic Christmas movie.
Scrooge, the one starring Albert Finney, favorite of all time.
And I ALWAYS ALWAYS watch Muppet's Christmas Carol the last thing Christmas Eve.
I will add, I'm not a huge fan of A Christmas Story. It was okay, but after whatever channel started looping it 24hrs of Christmas day it's just gotten over played and I'm tired of it.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
My wife and I have a stack of DVDs for Christmas that we set out to watch every year (starting shortly after Thanksgiving). Sometimes we get them all in, sometimes not; those that we don't, we prioritize for the next year. We also check out those that may hit our airwaves, but since we've killed cable, I've missed some of them.
3 Hallmarks - The Christmas Card, The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year and Moonlight & Mistletoe.

Must Watch - White Christmas, A Christmas Story and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

The Classics - A Christmas Carol (various), Patrick Stewart, George C. Scott and one I found starring Henry Winkler.

The Lesser Known - Trapped In Paradise

The Animated - Rankin Bass series, A Charlie Brown Christmas
No Netflix so I've been unable to catch The Christmas Chronicles; I'm hoping it becomes available either on an Amazon outlet or for sale after the holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.