PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don't disagree. However, folks who appreciate the many wonderful qualities (appearance, demeanor and skills of a particular breed are now sort of virtue shamed and rescue only folks feel so superior.
So it’s impossible to rescue a specific breed?

Reactions: peregrinus

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I know what you mean, but when you've got a great dog, who cares what anyone else thinks about it puffy

I've got a "rescue cat" that my wife and I literally rescued off the street. I've posted about him here before. He had a bad open wound that was infected, and some other problems, and although he looked okay it was pretty clear that he was gonna be in serious trouble without some medical attention. He ended up needing to have his tail amputated, a round of antibiotics, and numerous rounds of anti-parasite treatments. Spent about $1,000 on vet bills in the first couple months patching him up. That was a few years ago.

His favorite thing to do is still to sit on my lap and gaze up at me lovingly. My wife comments on it routinely to the point that sometimes I wonder whether she might be projecting some of her feelings onto him. He just sits on my lap, looks at me, and starts purring. He also follows us around the house, and sleeps at the foot of our bed about every night. If my wife and I are in the bathroom, 9 times out of 10, our cat will be in there with us. Of course it doesn't hurt that I'm also the one who feeds him most of the time, so I'm sure that informs his opinion of me as well puffy

As a guy with a rescue animal, I would not think less at all of someone with a well-bred purebred dog. If/when we get another dog, unless we can find an exceptional shelter dog (which are few and far between), we'll go with a purebred from a good line.
rescue animals know what they left behind and who is responsible for it and they know it's love too.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
If aliens came to Earth and saw how we treat our dogs they'd think dogs are the masters. I mean we literally pick up their sh*t and save it in a baggy.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Congrats! If you don’t mind me asking, what was the cause of your puppy passing away? We have a 4mo spaniel puppy at our house.
She was the runt of the litter. Honestly, the vet was unable to say the cause after checking for Parvo. She had received the first round of inoculations before I got her from the breeder. She did have worms, but apparently that is common.