PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

faedother

Lurker
Feb 22, 2011
KY
I have tried to search the forums for this topic and I have not found it. So if I have missed a topic that has already been made on this subject, please point me in the right direction.

I am new to owning pipes. So I am debating on starting with a corncob pipe or go for a briar pipe. My brothers both have briar pipes and I like them. However, after reading this article and the ones associated with it. I find myself questioning what I should do.

I guess the problem is that I know I like longer, curved pipes. This comes from the days that I smoke cigars. I never liked the hot smoke filling my nose. I have a very sensitive sense of smell. I also am use to using my brothers’ briar pipes; by ‘use to’, I mean that those are the only type I have smoked out of when I have smoked a pipe.

So the question that I would like to ask, is it okay to start with a briar or should I start with a corncob? Also are the good, online, stores that I can look for a starter kit?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

-Fae

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
start with whatever pipe you want. a pipe is an extention of you, if you don't like it you will not enjoy smoking it.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Maduroman is right choose what you like, either corn cob or briar, as for my suggestion find a Dr Grabow, great pipes at a great price

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
I would suggest both a briar and cob. Cobs are so inexpensive that it makes sense to have a couple. You can order them directly from Missouri Meerschaum (www.corncobpipe.com) Also I suggest getting a hardwood from them too, also very cheap and like the cobs they lose their natural flavor after a few bowls. I have 2 cobs, 1 hardwood and 2 briars (one of which just arrived today from eBay).
The MM Country Gentleman has been my go-to for some time now.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Just be aware that if you get a new cob, the first couple of bowls may taste extremely bitter. After the pine they use inside of them cures a bit, it may get better.

But I didn't last that long.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
I didn't mind the cob taste (I'd say a weird sweetness, rather than bitter) but was glad when it was gone. I did however dislike the hardwood cherry taste at first. But after 3-5 bowls they were both gone.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
You could just go to your local (reputable) tobacconist and browse and find what suits your individual requirements, or... you could check out some of Pipemagazine.com's sponsors that offer starter kits.

Corn cobs are great for trying new tobaccos. I have had one for 20+ years so I can't say that durability is an issue with cobs, although many consider them disposable.

However; they are not my favorite pipes... with the exception of my MM cobwarden.
Happy puffing and welcome to the fraternity!

:puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I too would suggest getting both…a moderately priced briar of your choosing, and a couple of cobs. It’s a good idea to give the briar a rest between smokes…48 hours or so. You can smoke the cobs in between. Also, the cobs are good to try out different blends so that you’re not mixing too many tastes in the briar.
Welcome to the club, and enjoy every puff!

:puffy:

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com

faedother

Lurker
Feb 22, 2011
KY
**The article I was refering to was Pipe Smoking Guide. Sorry about not attaching the link.**

First, thank you for the warm welcome.
Okay so where I live there is one true pipe store and it has a limited selection of pipes. Now I have not been to the tobacco stores that mainly sell cigars and cigarettes. However it sounds like that I should look into those.
As for the pipes, I will look into getting both a briar and a corncob. Because it sounds like it would be a good idea to have several different pipes. However does selecting a pipe differ depending on the amount of use it will receive? The reason I ask is because I smoke a pipe once in a while, mainly when I have my friends over or I go over to their house.
Thank you for all the good advice. Again, thank you for the warm welcome.

-Fae

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Welcome to the site. Looks like you have a great start. As for how often a pipe is smoked the best thing I can tell you is after a day of smoking be sure that it has time to rest. That is dry out and you will avoid it going sour on you.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I will also suggest that you pick up some Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes. They are all I smoke from; you may wish to "graduate" onto briars with time, but I recommend that you get the hang of things with a cob. They are great performers and are inexpensive, efficient, and durable enough if treated with care.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
+1 on the corncob. Great pipes for testing the water and seeing if you like your new hobby/addiction. As people have said give the cobs a few bowls before they settle down and get rid of the inital taste.

If you like it then have a look at getting a briar, maybe an estate one fitrst that has been fully cleaned which would be a cheaper way of getting a great pipe and having the benefit of not having to break it in either :puffpipe:

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
It may be a bit off kilter -- but I honestly suggest a clay. They impart virtually no flavour (the white ones at least) -- can be used repeatedly without issue (just swab out the bowl), can be treated like rubbish while smoking (though don't drop it) and not be harmed or burn out, they're cheap, about the same price as cobs for small ones. Just don't ever hold them by the bowl, it gets very, very hot.
I have several briars, a hickory, a worthless brylon, some clays, two cobs and some ukranians made of linden, oak and cherry. -- The clays are by far my personal favourite, though obviously YMMV applies -- I still stand by clay as a great beginner pipe. Next best thing for beginners would be cob, at least I think so.
Briar needs to be broken in, and meerschaums of any quality are fairly expensive so far as I've seen, and aging them is more difficult than briar, if only due to the colouring.
So yeah, in order of ease of use it'd go Clay, Cob, Briar, Meerschaum -- and stay away from brylon for darn sure, and non-briar woods are usually disappointing.
Oh yes, and I second the idea of going for an estate (smoked) pipe for your first briar, for both the financial and the already-broken-in reasons.

faedother

Lurker
Feb 22, 2011
KY
Well, I have taken a loot at MM and I just cannot find a corncob pipe that I like, or want to buy. This is because I am a bit of a aesthetics snob (probably because I am an Interior Designer) and the corncob pipe just does not appeal to me.
I will probably ask my grandmother for her father's corncob. This is mainly because it will have sentimental value than anything else.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I seem to be late to this thread - however, I want to add my 2 cents.
Having tried the "corn cob" route didn't work out for me. The reason isn't because corn cobs don't smoke well or anything, they smoke quite well; the idea of saving money to try out pipe tobacco also extended itself into not buying proper tools and other pipe tobacco paraphernalia.
So my take on it is: get something you dig, if you end up not liking tobacco, at least you'll have a pipe you enjoy looking at. At the same time, you'll also buy other things to go with your pipe to improve the pipe tobacco experience, like a proper tamper, matches, and maybe a mason jar or two, or 12 ;).
So, with that said, I'm glad you got the kit! Let us know how you like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.