PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Damn... haja would absolutely LOVE this thread!

Other than that, I use an IM Corona Pipemaster inside, or outside as long as it isn't too windy. Had an Old Boy but I personally found it to be a PITA compared to the Pipemaster. Aside from that lighter I use a fluid Zippo, or in a pinch a good 'ol Bic which are laying all about the house.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I recently got a Kibiri and think it's great. It's well made and has a substantial feel and weight. Highly recommended.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've become disenchanted with lighters of all types that aren't free or at least under $10. Been burned (figuratively) more times than not by expensive pipe and cigar lighters. The Zippo is far and away the most dependable of all and if it's outdoor smoking, it's the one to have. I too am sensitive to the fluid but just yesterday I took a relight from a guys old zippo and did not taste the fluid! Perhaps the new stuff is cleaner, I don't know. The Djeep lighters are cheap and reliable as are matches. I have one very ugly pipe and cigar combo lighter that was swag from a tobacco company and I have no idea what company produces it but it holds a generous amount of butane, has at least so far been reliable and does NOT contain any of those useless onboard pipe widgets. One side you depress gives you a single cigar torch, the other side gives you an angled soft flame pipe light. It was free but I'd buy one if it's priced right.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Great discussion !! Really love all the different answers and what ya'll have tried. It is looking like the good ole match and the Zippo is winning the debate. I do like my Zippo but really thought I would like to try a "upgrade". Not sure it would be an upgrade from what I'm reading. :)
Thank each of you for the input.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Strange, but the one thing I absolutely hate using is matches for a pipe. However, the only thing I'll use with the very rare occasional cigar is a match! Well, actually the worse thing I ever tried for a pipe was hemp wick. Damn stuff burns like a fuse, stinks, messy and isn't worth the fuss. I have quite a lot of it with a few Bic holders which I plan to sell. Just out of simple curiosity I had to give it a try but never again.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
If you're looking for a lighter that won't let you down the Zippo is hard to beat. I spent almost two years in a lovely garden spot called Vietnam and I don't recall anyone using anything but a Zippo. Probably some of the most challenging conditions I ever encountered and it always came through. Pull the wick up a little and it serves as a pretty good pipe lighter. And when you can't find any lighter fluid, it will even work using mo-gas (although a little smoky). Hide a extra flint in the bottom and it's pretty much foolproof. Although I've had to have it repaired several times I still have that lighter today and it still doesn't let me down. If I can find a little spot out of the wind I can get a light.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I usually use a match to do my "charring" light, then Zippo the rest of the way. I will always have a Zippo, as one of my great friends was an avid Zippo collector. He passed away this past year. But I would like to have a nice lighter for the chair-side. That Peterson is looking great, but still undecided.
Gloucesterman, thank you for your service and welcome home !!!

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
The charring light is the only problem I have with a Zippo so I use Bic or an Old Boy for that then go on to the Zippo. You can get some pretty fancy looking Zippo cases to upgrade to.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Imco makes some great affordable pipe lighters. I picked one up about 2 months ago for 20 bucks and it is great.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm with the matches coalition. Piping is an ancient art and partly a ceremony anyway. As much as I like the look, feel, and tradition of Zippo, I can't bring myself to light a tobacco pipe with a gadget, however wonderful it may be in itself. A pipe isn't a cigaret, or a string of firecrackers, or a barbecue grill, so why treat it that way.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
If you really want to get nostalgic, get a pair of those coal tongs and pluck a red hot coal from the hearth and set it on top of your tobacco. If your a tough guy, just grab one with the fingers and light up! Lol. I've got to get another Zippo pipe lighter, fishing season is here and I hate fussing around in the wind trying to get my pipe going.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
@settersbrace

Seems like your preferred way:

48300d1256300727-pipe-smoking-photos-pipe-lighter.jpg

And one of the most primitive way of getting a fire to light one's pipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Jbyd0LuVoZw#t=79

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I've dug up an old thread, pretty neat testing matches vs bic vs zippo vs old boy vs torch lighter, though its focus was different.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/experiment-match-vs-zippo-vs-bic-vs-old-boy-vs-torch

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Funny part is that I've succeeded at doing the friction fire starting thing but I've yet to ever have been in a situation where I had to resort to such desperate means to light a pipe and hope I never have too! lol.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have an Old Boy, and a Vector, and 2 Zippo pipe lighters. The Old Boy is for dress, so it isn't used much. Stay away from the butane inserts for the zippos - they are unreliable at best. The Vector is a good inexpensive lighter, the zippos need to burn a few seconds before lighting your pipe to burn off the taste, and they run out of fuel quite fast. All that said, I use matches more than anything.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I must confess to being a heretic: I have no idea what kind of lighter an Old Boy is. Would someone enlighten me (pun unintended). As for Zippos, I got the pipe insert one to avoid burning the rim--I damaged a great Irish Harp that way using a regular unmodified Zippo. The only drawback with the Zippo (and with the pipe insert, you can shorten the wick greatly) is the heavy use of fuel. Big deal. I have a few Zippos, one decorated as you saw above, and there's no lack of styling among the collectable Zippos.

Now what makes an Old Boy unique?

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Old boy lighters are old style looking pipe lighters. They burn butane and have an angled flame to make pipe lighting easier. I don't know who made the first old boy style lighter but the most famous are the ones made by I.M. Corona.
Here is a link to one at smoking pipes
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2882

Status
Not open for further replies.