Chili's new touch screen devices For or Against?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I am in the "I do not like the tablet" side of the forum. Yes, germs are everywhere, I agree. However, sticky, caked on dried salsa and oily finger prints are not. They are on the touch screen and I refused to use it. The waiter took my card and I used my own pen to sign the slip. I use my AmEx card exclusively when eating out or ordering items online. The reason; AmEx has some of the best fraud and customer service procedures in the business if you card is compromised. They send you a new one FexEx next day, the charges are dropped and you move on. I love technology, but badly implemented tech, is just bad.
I love voice activated wait staff. :puffy:

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I am in the "I do not like the tablet" side of the forum. Yes, germs are everywhere, I agree. However, sticky, caked on dried salsa and oily finger prints are not. They are on the touch screen and I refused to use it. The waiter took my card and I used my own pen to sign the slip. I use my AmEx card exclusively when eating out or ordering items online. The reason; AmEx has some of the best fraud and customer service procedures in the business if you card is compromised. They send you a new one FexEx next day, the charges are dropped and you move on. I love technology, but badly implemented tech, is just bad.
I love voice activated wait staff. :puffy:

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
Against! They also told my how great it was that I could order drinks, play games, pay my bill. As soon as the hostess walked away my wife and I agreed its flashing ads were annoying in the least and turned the dumb thing around. But after they served our food the never checked on us to make sure we were happy and well taken care of. I ended up using the thing to pay my bill just to get out of there. The tip-o-meter went way down. Its back to the awesome mom and pop eateries for us!

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
If you're worried about the germs on the tablets at the table, please never think about what is happening in the kitchen filled with line chefs who were only good enough to work at Chili's.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
This is foreshadowing of a time to come. We are committing or entire lives and trust into the fragile network of the internet, databases, clouds and new technology. At some point this system will collapse in it self and there will be many that will be lost and unprepared for the world without modern technologies and systems but not me. I can live self sufficient with out any of it due to some key skill sets and preparation. Can you?

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
And ontop if that thanks to this forum I have learned how to make my own gourd calabash pipe so I can keep on smoking. :)

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I can live self sufficient with out any of it due to some key skill sets and preparation. Can you?
As being able to live without technology is a great end of the world plan. I would think a person's time would be better spent learning how to use this new technology to its full advantage. There are a lot of benifits to having this technology at our finger tips. Don't be scared of it, embrace it!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
When Chili's opened here in Fairbanks everyone was ecstatic it seemed, minus the wife and I. We told several people that Chili's was the place people were forced to eat when they had a short lunch break and all the local eateries were packed. It's hard to get away from big box stores when it comes to many good but food isn't one of them. Support you local restaurants all you can IMHO. It's one of the few areas where one can still keep their money local. Not to knock anyone's choice of eateries but for me, it's easy to kill two birds with one stone since I bet the locals will not be installing any such tablets. Also, as a blacksmith I feel I will be valuable in the post apocalypse world.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I will happily pay a little extra to support my local tobacconist. I value the many hours of good pipe related conversation and of hanging out in the shop. He doesn't have the variety of the Internet, but I can always find more fine pipes and tobacco than I can afford, and almost always find a good deal. I understand that there are a lot of duds out there, which is why it's worth searching out and supporting the good ones.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Northernneil- I do learn to use the technology. At least the stuff that is actually useful cause some of it wastes more time than what it's worth and was only designed to sell something new (google glasses or that watch thing). however being an engineer in the refining oil industry I have to accept and appreciate a great deal of new technology but I am still prepared to live without it.
A blacksmith would be a great benefit.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
August 15, 2014
Dear Mr. Gxxxxs,

Thank you for your email and for your interest in Chili's.
We certainly appreciate you taking the time out of your day to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent visit to our Tyson's Corner Chili's. We have forwarded your comments and suggestions pertaining to the table top ziosks to our marketing and operations departments for review and consideration.

Mr. Graves, use of the tablets in any restaurant is completely optional. The devices are present on the table to enhance the service experience for our guests and give them more control over their dining experience. Please feel free to request to have the device removed from your table before ordering.

Guest feedback is vital to our success and we will use your comments to improve. We again thank you for your interest in Chili's.
Sincerely,
Chili's Guest Relations

Reference Number: 962297

Status
Not open for further replies.