PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's today's Chicago Tribune article commenting on a victory of sorts for freedom and the 1st Amendment. It discusses U.S. District Judge Richard Leon's opinion striking down the mandate that gruesome images be displayed on cigarette packages.

:clap:

In a nutshell, he says "...it's the equivalent of requiring new cars to be adorned with giant photos of bloody crash scenes or Big Mac containers to depict an obese corpse. Cigarette companies, Leon said, may not be forced to serve as messengers for anti-tobacco crusaders." Let's hope this ruling survives the appeals process.

2asprins

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
Thanks for posting that, I was hoping that mandate would fail. It's funny that the article mentions that our "Fearless Leader" was a marijuana user.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Towards the end it says nobody loves tobacco companies, I do.
Amen. I may not agree with some of their business practices (understand that, specifically, I'm talking about cigarette companies), but they provide a product that I happen to like and want to purchase.
This whole trend is enormously frustrating, as I'm sure it is for our community in general. Granted, Louisiana has, I believe, the lowest tobacco tax in the country, and our governor keeps shooting down attempts to raise the tax, but I still pay through the teeth for some products. I'm especially pleased to read that the "Blood on the Highway" scare tactics are facing steep challenges.
My opinion on the matter will change when they impose equal discriminatory policies on proven health threats. When they tax ho-hos, cola, Doritos, FDA-approved meds that cause a stroke to cure toe fungus, and the nightly news, I'll be less grumpy about the situation.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 to all of you old farts!
We need more people like this judge to defend everyone equally and without bias. Certain facts should be omitted so you can look at this more simply.
Mission Statement - "We want to put images on a legal product to discourage use of it. And the company who's product it is will have to pay for all of it."
Cleary retarded.
Bravo Richard Leon. I love you man!

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I know who this judge is. He was in the news alot at one time and this rueling from him does surprise me as he is a bleeding heart uberliberal. As a lawyer he was on the Clinton legal team and reped Bill and Hillary in the whitewater scandel as well as reped Bill befor congress in his impeachment hearings. He did do a good job there Clinton was Impeached but not fired. I think if a judge with his views made this ruleing it stands a better then avg chance to have his ruleing stand in the apeals cort. Supream Corts A different story as there are the Obama appointees and a wild card or 2 that one never knows what way they will vote.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
That's a good omen, BUT..... the CDC just launched their similar "public service propaganda" ads on TV using the same ugly images.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
A small step for Mankind and a giant leap for Freedom Lovers!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.