PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am not sure why the people who run the show don't want to hold it in a city that is open and looking for business. I bet you could get a great deal from some. Resorts are looking for anything and you could probably score a huge deal.

Jun 23, 2019
I am not sure why the people who run the show don't want to hold it in a city that is open and looking for business. I bet you could get a great deal from some. Resorts are looking for anything and you could probably score a huge deal.

Like someone has previously mentioned, the European and Asian contingent will be completely missing.

Running a show just for State-side sponsors and participants might not be enough to sustain the cost of putting on a show like this.

Reactions: Servant King
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The Chicagoland Pipe and Tobacciana Show is run by hard-working volunteers. They are not show professionals and receive no compensation for their work. Technically, the show is run by a tiny not-for-profit organization affiliated with the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club. Naturally, those volunteers are all residents of the Chicago area. Most, if not all, of the show officers have full-time jobs and a few have their own businesses. The point is that it's unreasonable to expect these unpaid folks to host a not-for-profit show in a distant city.

As for being easy to find a resort, what hotel or resort wants to host a show for a bunch of smokers these days? If you want indoor smoking, laws eliminate a huge percentage of the options from the start. Then, how many resorts are as desperate as Pheasant Run was? If they're that desperate, how long will they stay in business? Would you even want to stay there? Remember all the jokes about how dated Pheasant Run was?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When we had a cigar event at the Don Cesar on St Pete Beach in Florida it was right after the bombing of the twin towers in NY. People were looking for business and the people at the Don treated us like gold. There are tons of places to smoke outdoors there and I know they can build a big tent probably right next to the pool. Smoking cigars in the pool was pretty cool. I don't understand why the foreign guys couldn't fly into Tampa as that is a large international airport. I am just trying to offer alternative places to have the event. I would think something would be better than nothing.

Reactions: jguss and FurCoat

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
When we had a cigar event at the Don Cesar on St Pete Beach in Florida it was right after the bombing of the twin towers in NY. People were looking for business and the people at the Don treated us like gold. There are tons of places to smoke outdoors there and I know they can build a big tent probably right next to the pool. Smoking cigars in the pool was pretty cool. I don't understand why the foreign guys couldn't fly into Tampa as that is a large international airport. I am just trying to offer alternative places to have the event. I would think something would be better than nothing.
I looked up the Don Cesar last time you mentioned it and found the rooms were over $500 a night. Pipe shows are very different from cigar events.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

I really don’t understand what this keeps coming up. This question has been asked and answered, at length, several times before. Short version: pipe shows are a huge pain in the ass to mount, both expensive and time consuming, and in the case of Chicago require the active unpaid participation of many people. You want to put one on in Florida? Knock yourself out. And who knows, maybe it’ll be successful. But the Chicago Show isn’t moving to Florida or anywhere else outside of Chicagoland. It exists because of the Chicago Club, and they're not moving it for cogent reasons that have been expressed on this forum multiple times, most recently by Craig in this very thread less than 24 hours ago. I fail to see what’s obscure about any of that.

In my experience one useful dichotomy is dividing people into those who do the work and those who stand off to the side opining on ways to do it better, or at any rate differently. My view of the world is that people who do the work (in this case organizing and producing the world’s largest pipe show) get to make any and all decisions about how it’s done, without justifying themselves in any respect to backseat drivers. The show is not public property; it is owned by and exists because of the Chicago Club. Other people don’t get a vote, nor should they. Your recourse if you’re unhappy is to not go. And of course to mount your own show.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I really don’t understand what this keeps coming up. This question has been asked and answered, at length, several times before. Short version: pipe shows are a huge pain in the ass to mount, both expensive and time consuming, and in the case of Chicago require the active unpaid participation of many people. You want to put one on in Florida? Knock yourself out. And who knows, maybe it’ll be successful. But the Chicago Show isn’t moving to Florida or anywhere else outside of Chicagoland. It exists because of the Chicago Club, and they're not moving it for cogent reasons that have been expressed on this forum multiple times, most recently by Craig in this very thread less than 24 hours ago. I fail to see what’s obscure about any of that.

In my experience one useful dichotomy is dividing people into those who do the work and those who stand off to the side opining on ways to do it better, or at any rate differently. My view of the world is that people who do the work (in this case organizing and producing the world’s largest pipe show) get to make any and all decisions about how it’s done, without justifying themselves in any respect to backseat drivers. The show is not public property; it is owned by and exists because of the Chicago Club. Other people don’t get a vote, nor should they. Your recourse if you’re unhappy is to not go. And of course to mount your own show.
Well put. So it will not be happening in Dubai?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

I think I understand, though it’s a little vague. Chicago should annex this Don Cesar dump, dismantle it and ship it to Chicago where volunteers will reassemble it.
I think that’s correct?

Reactions: jmill208 and jguss

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I really like the idea of a Dubai show. Failing that the desert outback is vast, and don't think anyone would care how many tents you pitch.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Chicago pipe show should be held in Florida? ? Well That would require the Chicago Pipe Club moving it to Florida. Not sure why the CHICAGO pipe club would move the show to FLORIDA. Not to mention, who would pay for all the VOLUNTEERS that make the show possible, to travel and stay in Florida for this hypothetical show? Yeah, put on a show, out of state, and as thanks for this, pay your own freight.? Maybe Columbus Pipe show should be held in Hawaii?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Chicago show should be in the Chicago area, if not within the corporate city limits. It's been out in the 'burbs for years, in the same way that the New York pipe show is in New Jersey. Within driving distance of its place name makes sense. I think pipe shows get displaced from big downtown areas by shear economic pressure and supply and demand. Big city room rates are too high, and accommodations for a smoking area are a bridge too far in big city venues maybe. I think the Chicago show will come back in easy driving distance of Chicago in 2022.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
The Chicago show should be in the Chicago area, if not within the corporate city limits. It's been out in the 'burbs for years, in the same way that the New York pipe show is in New Jersey. Within driving distance of its place name makes sense. I think pipe shows get displaced from big downtown areas by shear economic pressure and supply and demand. Big city room rates are too high, and accommodations for a smoking area are a bridge too far in big city venues maybe. I think the Chicago show will come back in easy driving distance of Chicago in 2022.
St Charles/Pheasant Run was a smoke friendly venue. Also, only a 35 Minute Drive from O’Hare via Elgin Express. It was also MUCH cheaper than trying a show within Chicago.
I’ve always thought they could try the show in Tinley, as NARBC gets reasonable rates for their show. And the shows get about the same attendance.
Rosemont is also a close, reasonable venue, but you run into the scarcity of smoke friendly sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.