Chicago People: Did Hugh Hefner Hang Out At Iwan Reis?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
We know Hefner smoked a pipe.

We know he smoked Mixture 79.

Before he was famous I happen to know he lived in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, which is more renown for it's university setting more than an having a pipe store.

So, did he take the train up north to Iwan Reis to buy his stash or was he more of a "let's head over to WoolWorth's so I can pick up a tub of my codger blend" kind of guy?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I don't know, just a Chicago nostalgia thing I guess. I used to do work for Playboy as a photo retoucher quite a few years ago. I never met him, but I did meet his daughter Christie back when she was running the company. Also the original playboy mansion was not far from where I worked. Anyway, it occurred to me that he might have shopped at Iwan Ries. Figured some long term Chicago smokers might remember.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This smoker would have to be like 80-90...

on a side note Iwan Ries is ?

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Call or email the store. There are always two generations of the family in there at any time, and they are rightfully proud of and happy to talk about the history of the place and it's patrons.

Let us know what you find out.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'd bet he made his way IRC now and then before he became more or less a recluse (agoraphobic?) wanting absolute control his environment.

Hefner was all about marketing his philosophy and the brand. He did a lot of that through merchandising cheap, sorry, inexpensive stuff, clothing, jewelry, pipes, but, oddly enough, no tobacco product I am aware of. Were there ever any "bunny" branded cigarettes, cigars, blends? I know passed out and sold a "Playboy" pipe. Maybe sold in the clubs.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I'd bet he made his way IRC now and then before he became more or less a recluse (agoraphobic?) wanting absolute control his environment.

Hefner was all about marketing his philosophy and the brand. He did a lot of that through merchandising cheap, sorry, inexpensive stuff, clothing, jewelry, pipes, but, oddly enough, no tobacco product I am aware of. Were there ever any "bunny" branded cigarettes, cigars, blends? I know passed out and sold a "Playboy" pipe. Maybe sold in the clubs.

I remember, that I saw some cigars with the significant bunny printed on their banderole, somewhere here in Germany...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hugh Hefner had a short-lived TV show with jazz artists and comedians, etc., staged as a party, on which he smoked a pipe regularly and conspicuously. I think he loved the image. By the time he started pipe smoking, he was into ostentatious presentation of himself despite his innate shyness. By then, I doubt he went shopping for anything, pipes, tobacco, or neckties. He'd have sent staff, whether to the drugstore or Iwan Ries. I don't know, but I suspect, that the IR staff of his era are no longer at the shop, if they are still around at all. I bet few if any every saw him.

Reactions: logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Okay, I'm slow on the sophisticated sex jokes. Guess I need things spelled out.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Growing up, my dad smoked a pipe all the time, breakfast to bedtime except for meals. Granger only. So when I saw Hef' on TV cooly smoking his pipe, I could tell he didn't quite know what he was doing, with the pipe anyway.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd say of Hef's pipe smoking what Mark Twain said of his wife's attempt to cuss back at him; the words are right but the melody's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.