PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I play chess, I like using a clock, but it isn't necessary. We play sometimes at pipe club. I also run a board game club through the school I work at. I teach kids chess, cribbage, backgammon, stratego, go, othello, and have pretty much every board game tat you could think of in my game closet.
26fdb82684dfd00c7c4eec0a3fc08335.jpg

bb578d7d245bbe87318296a0ad8fc423.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have lots of boards but this is my favorite. As far as I know there are only 2 of these in existence. I have a friend in Ukraine who makes wood crafts and he made two of these boards. Each piece is hand painted to represent Ukrainian Cossacks and their long feud with the Turks. If you look at the detail on the pieces you can see that the pawns and bishops have the traditional style warrior hair cut and each is wearing a representation of traditional ukrainian dress, the rooks are little ukrainian dachas. The turks likewise are painted to represent their traditional dress and the queen for example is wearing a veil and the rooks are little tents. This is a super cool art piece, but really fun to play on too, especially enjoying a nice pipe.
30ae3e080ab1590fa94af5341f9690e2.jpg

131bb26a3f55aa7fa04f1e9107cc4125.jpg

ae270824e757c91cbae10c249042d182.jpg

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
My Stepdad taught me when I was probably 7 or 8. I even started a short lived club in elementary school. I took a few summer camps on chess. I also used to go to the chess club with my step Dad. He always asks me to play whenever we are together which is not very often now as we live on opposite sides of the country. I hadn't played in a really long time and recently had the urge so I downloaded an app on my iPhone...talk about a cheating POS! Everytime I would get one move from check mate my piece would just disappear without the computer even making a move, needless to say I was heated and need to just find some people that play at work.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Shaintiques that is a great board...don't know why it never occured to me to smIke a pipe and play....seems like they are a match made in heaven.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Playing chess with my Dad was a lot of fun when I was a kid, and I played on an online rated chess website for a little while a few years back.
Haha Lawrence, yeah sometimes you need proper motivation to give it your all. The way I always looked at chess was that 'my opponents first move is his first mistake' ... that was pretty much the motivation I needed to be able to beat my old man in chess, I always thought he would win.
With all the folks that replied, we should pick a website and meet for pipes and games sometime.
Maybe Kevin might find a new sponsor??

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
My dad used to play chess all the time. When he was in high school he was so good he went and competed in New York City. I love playing but I suck bad. :lol:

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I played Chess for a long time all through my kid and teen years. But as I got older the games changed (don't they all). But now days I crave meeting folks who are more grounded and can play board games and have fun without being drunk or something else. It seems so many folks are sold out on their souls and life becomes about gossip, money and who owns what. Shantiques has it right and I may have to get online to find where the crazy board gamers hang out. In fact for many years I played a game called Magic The Gathering that was loads of fun but and expensive game after sometime and once I had all my cards stolen I refused to look back on playing ever again. The time has come to find a new game I suppose as many video games have lost their luster for me.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Ah yeah, Magic the Gathering is good fun, I played online for a while. Wizards of the Coast hit gold with that game.
I started playing seriously in high school.
I've yet to learn any "named" moves or openings.
This is a non-profit site, so I think it should be okay to post here per PM forum rules:
http://www.freechess.org/
That site is a good chess community, and the functionality is excellent. I played some rated games there a couple of years ago.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
i love chess and used to play a lot but now school is killing me and i do not get to play much at all. i fear i will have a lot of relearning to do.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Old threads never die.
When I was young my day always used to tell me he'd teach me to play after I learned to read. So after I learned to read he handed me a chess book and told me to leave him alone. He was a smart man.
I still enjoy reading chess books more than I enjoy playing. I'm thinking of taking the game up again after many years of not playing. (As if I had the time or not enough humiliation in my life already!) :) I rejoined USCF and will play some email games to start.

Lawrence how about adding a chess application to PM ?

Now there's an idea. We could have the latakia smokers team up against the aro smokers and finally settle some old battles.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Taught myself to play when I was about 8. The dinosaurs were just starting to fade, so they didn't interrupt much. Played off and on through my 30's. Drifted away when I didn't have any friends who played. Got an unofficial rating of 1980 something when I played in a chess club for a while when I was in my early 20's. Haven't played in many years, although I would really like to do so. Don't care for online games, tho. Like the face-to-face, but don't like the clock. Just play. Maybe one of these days....

Aug 14, 2012
Six and Lawrence: I played competitive chess in High school (Horace Mann) in the junior Ivy League. I quit the game because I couldn't even beat Asa Hoffman (for info about Asa see "In search of Bobby Fisher"). My game is art not chess. We all have to learn our limits.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I played chess on my schools small team came in 2nd in small district thing. My dad asked me to teach him on his 2nd game ever beat me and the 3rd 4th and 5th game he ever played beat me also. Never played me again said it was to easy. I have no idea to this day how. He is just a natural I guess. I play online every so often . Now STRAGIO that's a game!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I learned to play at work. A friend of mine had made us a very crude set out of some leftover clay-like substance we had laying around and a piece of notebook paper! I've loved the game ever since. I still suck at it and never have time to play, but I do love the game. Has anyone ever played no-stress chess? My wife and I found it at wal-mart and its very interesting. You draw a card on your turn, and whatever piece is on the card that's the one you have to move. It really shakes things up a bit. Not really sure why the call it "no-stress" cause I think it's more stressful! It's a lot of fun though.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
@saintpeter, wasn't that Tic-Tac-Toe, disguised as Thermo-nuclear War?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I still enjoy reading chess books more than I enjoy playing.
What a great idea.

I have a chess book that I was given for my 12th or 13th birthday... I think.

I read the chapter on knight moves and didn't loose again for the next 36 games.

I love that book.

I know precisely where it is.... I'm going to have to dig it out, blow the dust off of it and give it a good re-re-re-re-.... read.

It is Winning Chess How To See Three Moves Ahead by Irving Chernev and Fred Reinfield.

I just looked it up and it's still being sold.....

Not a fancy book about strategy, but rather one about the nuts and bolts of tactics.

Aug 14, 2012
Lawrence: I had that book in the 1950s. What memories that brings back! And now I remember a magazine called Chess Review. I met the publisher, Al Horowitz in one of the chess clubs and he gave me an interview for a high school assignment to write a profile. I was afraid to play him because I would probably have lost. I hated losing. A little after that I started hanging out in Washington Square. I played for fun because I had no money to bet, and usually beat the hustler I played. My best friend's father was near a master. He used to play us at the same time. I think I beat him once. But I am still disturbed that I couldn't beat Asa Hoffman, who also was a near master, and played first board on the Horace Mann team where I was third board. They wanted me on the football team, I said "no, I prefer the chess team." We traveled to all the big name prep schools and usually, as a team, beat them. I was surely no Bobby Fisher. Asa, in case you are a pipesmoker please get in touch. Anyhow, it was time better spent than listening to the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers baseball teams.My friend's father bought us real chess sets and boards. After that I carved chessmen out of Ivory soap bars.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I very much enjoy a good game of Chess, I, like many of you, played much more in my younger years. I have been concentrating on GO recently, it is a fascinating game and uses the same skill set as Chess, but in a very different way. Chess is a game of attack and GO is a game of protection. One must learn to think in a different manner, it has been very challenging to me intellectually.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I have played chess all my life. A Very serious tournament player in my early teens not really now. I just play for the enjoyment. I've been waiting for my daughter to turn four to start teaching. Other than that my favorite opening as White is the Scotch Game and as Black the Ruy Lopez(ArchAngel Defense) and the Benko gambit. Favorite modern player was Shirov and historic player was Mikhal Tal and Paul Morphy.
Anyone up for a game PM and I'll set up a board. I quit enjoy distance games

Status
Not open for further replies.