PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I would say all pipes require break in. Was it an estate on new? got to post pics! tell us more about the pipe. I have one cherry wood and enjoy it thoroughly.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Cherrywood is both a material and the name of a specific shape.
As a material, cherry wood burns like firewood and imparts much of its own flavor. I had one many years ago and it was NOT a serious smoking instrument.
As a shape, it's a poker with an upward angled stem.
I hope you got a cherrywood SHAPE (made out of briar).

Aug 10, 2012
Well, its a cherrywood made from a cherry tree. A new one. Although, I do like the cherrywood shape as well, but do not have one of those yet. Sorry about no pic. I don't have a camera handy to get one on here, but it's the traditional cherrywood (tree) appearance, pretty rugged and raw, with bark still on both bowl and shank. Shank is carved to an obvious taper into the bowl.

So, bigvan, there's no way of taking special care in the smoke? Because these must've been smoked in the good old world, probably before the superior briar.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The one I had was probably meant to be part of a renaissance fair costume and not an actual pipe. The joint between the shank and the bowl wasn't sealed so it couldn't even be smoked as it was. After sealing it with some wood glue I tried smoking it but I could see, hear and smell the wood burning.
I hope yours is an actual pipe.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey mate, the one on the right is a Cherrywood. I don't smoke it much because the bowl is too small. Smokes well though
001-12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.