Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Very cool. We’ve been to Queensbury Pipe and Cigar a few times over 20 years. A great shop. Yeah Hudson is a great example of income inequality. A cool town though.

I currently work in Hudson and have lived/worked in several areas of NY over the years. The amount of closed businesses and the economic gap make it a pretty dismal place.

I have worked in the area for the past few years and it feels like the 'vid has only made it worse. Hopefully things will improve.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
I currently work in Hudson and have lived/worked in several areas of NY over the years. The amount of closed businesses and the economic gap make it a pretty dismal place.

I have worked in the area for the past few years and it feels like the 'vid has only made it worse. Hopefully things will improve.
Hopefully. I haven't been down in the Kinderhook/Hudson/Catskill region since pre-COVID. I used to substitute teach at Ichabod Crane and the schism between uber-rich kids whose parents ditched NYC and came upstate versus the kids who were raised in the inherent poverty of the Hudson Valley... that was tough to see. I grew up dirt poor so seeing that unspoken envy in the poor kids, that jealousy and frustration of how The cards were dealt... glad I got the fuck out of there.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I would like to invite you to consider that the vast majority of people from NYC are not rich or even wealthy and it would be unfortunate to assume that people that have migrated north are. Having taught in a title I school in Dutchess county for 20 years I can attest that income disparity is real and a big challenge but hardly caused by “city people”. This is a complex topic that can go south quickly so I don’t really want get into it but it is way too easy to wrongly blame city people. Yes, some are wealthy, but that is not a bad thing by itself. My wife and I were born and raised in NYC. There is much more to this story and I ask you to consider that.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
I would like to invite you to consider that the vast majority of people from NYC are not rich or even wealthy and it would be unfortunate to assume that people that have migrated north are. Having taught in a title I school in Dutchess county for 20 years I can attest that income disparity is real and a big challenge but hardly caused by “city people”. This is a complex topic that can go south quickly so I don’t really want get into it but it is way too easy to wrongly blame city people. Yes, some are wealthy, but that is not a bad thing by itself. My wife and I were born and raised in NYC. There is much more to this story and I ask you to consider that.

Wow, how refreshing, a civil and thought out challenge to a statement on the internet... you're right, I shouldn't be so general. I neither think wealth is a bad thing nor think all people that come north from the city are wealthy/bad. Maybe I'm Just parroting what I've heard, that's entirely possible, because when I try to think about why I think the money is coming here from the city but not improving the areas it's coming into, I can't pinpoint anything.

The only thing I can say for certain is that I saw the income disparity increase in my time there, and that faculty members told me that parents were escaping the city and coming north. I shouldn't speak to what I don't know, sorry for overstepping

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Greetings. I lived in Albany (actually Guilderland) for three years. Spent time in Schenectady and traveling to Johnstown, Amsterdam, and Gloversville. Driving to work I could see the Adirondacks, Green Mountains, and Helderbergs. Albany was the ugliest city surrounded by beautiful country. It seemed like it was always snowing. For some reason the restaurants there had the best onion soup.

Last edited:

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
I am originally from Queens and left NYC in 2000 when I was 18. My family was in no way wealthy and most people I have met that moved north don't fall into that category either. Both of my parents worked and saved to find a quiet/safer place to live and raise my younger siblings.
Yeah, I've been corrected... who knew a pipe forum would be the place I learned my lesson about repeating things without thinking about them?

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
Welcome aboard, Brother! It looks like you’ve already gone pretty far down the rabbit hole so there’s nothing any of us can do for you now! Oh well, Gam Zu

That's a saying I haven't heard in a while! I used to miss the bus all the time and have to ride my bike, and it was about 8 miles... I'd be sulking about, preparing for school, and hear my mom say Gam zu l'tovah from her office. It made me so mad! It's comforting now though. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
Ahhhh, what the sloppy dog face happened to Jerry’s head?! Ahhhhh
Welcome from Michigan. He looks really happy tho. Way to crank ‘em up.
Cheers, Eric
I poorly photoshopped that shot of Jerry with my dog's face for a profile picture on the Interwebs so as to not use my face, which is much sloppier and not as endearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.