PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
I was born and raised in South Carolina, have moved around a bit, but once again call the Lowcountry home.

Nearly two decades ago, when the world was younger, including myself and my soon-to-be wife, Charleston was our playground. We'd wander the few tobacco shops nestled within its historic embrace, and I, with a novice's zeal, would always ask for a house-made maduro cigar, always dark and linear. It was our ritual, a tangible thread in the fabric of our budding romance.

Come summer, we'd gather on the porch of our downtown rental, two stories up, where the air was sweeter, and the nights unfolded like the pages of a well-worn novel. My friends and I, we were the arbiters of cool, the cigars in our hands a symbol of our leisurely defiance against the ordinary. The truly fascinating among us were the pipe smokers, their silent billows of smoke rising up, carrying with it the weight of their thoughts. And in that sacred space, fine spirits flowed freely, laughter was our currency, and music our religion. We debated everything and nothing, all under the watchful eye of the stars, our gazes never once dropping to the cold glow of a phone screen.

Time, as it does, moved on. We ventured out to the suburbs, started a family, and the smoky gatherings of our youth grew sparse. But occasionally, on those rare Carolina “cold” winter days, a friend would turn up at our 1960s bungalow, and there, in the openness of our garage, we'd resurrect those days if only for an evening, with a pipe and whiskey in hand, as if time had graciously paused.

The years continued to roll by, and even those moments became memories, until last year, when an invitation to a fantasy football league at my church led to an unexpected revival. After the draft, some of us spilled out onto the porch, and the familiar glow of a cigar and the comforting aroma of pipe smoke filled the air. It was as if an old love had been rekindled.

Since then, I've been fervently building my pipe collection, curating my tobacco cellar with the urgency of a man aware that time is a luxury. New friendships have formed, an old hobby has blossomed anew, and here I am, living what feels like the best chapter yet of my life. It's a reminder that sometimes, passions don't fade; they simply wait for the right moment to be awakened once more.

Thank you for welcoming me back in as a Brother of the Leaf.

Cheers!

Jeremy aka “Noble Castoff”
(resurrecting an account I created here a while back but never used. I'll get my screen name changed when I'm able)
Welcome from PA! Charleston is one of my favorite places. Rodney Scott's BBQ is the best!

Reactions: franklinpipes

daberman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Still experimenting my way through. I've found that I like SPC Plum Pudding unequivocally, and seem to be leaning towards English/Balkan blends. I've tried VaPers, and really want to love them, but haven't found a mature enough one to my liking.
Have you tried Arango's Balkan Supreme? Mine and a lot of peoples favorite english! Also, a little more lesser known but really incredible is Watch City CIgar's Nor'Easter... I highly recommend both! Good smoking friend!

franklinpipes

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
Charleston, SC
Have you tried Arango's Balkan Supreme? Mine and a lot of peoples favorite english! Also, a little more lesser known but really incredible is Watch City CIgar's Nor'Easter... I highly recommend both! Good smoking friend!

I'll add them to the list. I just received some 2022 Sobranie and C&D Super Balkan. I'd prefer to find something that will still be somewhat available in 5-10 years. 😄

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
I've started a small collection of Peterson Mark Twain, namely 1997 smooth and 1984 rusticated, Also along those lines - the Peterson POY 2022 14b. The other direction I've gone is large panel pipes - so I've got 6 variants of Savinelli 515 EX/KS, Dunhill ODA 836 sandblasted, and a lonely Jobey Shellmoor.

As for tobaccos, still experimenting my way through. I've found that I like SPC Plum Pudding unequivocally, and seem to be leaning towards English blends. I've tried VaPers, and really want to love them, but haven't found a mature enough one to my liking.
For VaPers there are so many great to choose from but for a descent maturation frsh from the tin try Savinelli Doblone d’oro

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome!! Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

franklinpipes

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
Charleston, SC
Welcome!! Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.
This is completed. Thanks!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Thank you, I'm rather fond of several shoemakers from that part of the world. Namely John Lobb, Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, and Church's.
Northamptonshire was full of Shoe Factories where I came from, Corby was a steel works, the biggest Steel works in the UK, this is the most northern town in Northamptonshire and no Shoe Factories in my Town. Both of my Parents was born in Kettering but none of my family worked in the Shoe Trade, my Father was a metallurgist in the Steel works and was in charge of the Laboratories. Not many Shoe Factories are still going in Northamptonshire now, just a few that make quality Shoes that are very expensive. The steel works closed down in the early 80's, part of it that made Tubes is still running with imported steel. I worked in the Food Trade for a Company Called Weetabix as a Electrician, 5 miles from Kettering, I was there for 30years until I had a industrial accident and knackered my back, 3 operations and was retired off in 2006 at the age of 50, doing well now, still living on pain killers.

Reactions: jpmcwjr