Checklist for Trying Different Varieties of Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Estate Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
3 Fresh Yeti Pipes
6 Fresh Brebbia Pipes
48 Fresh Vauen Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
beast, everyone needs to try a true Lakeland at least once in their live. Ennerdale is a full blown one so give it a shot. 1792 is a tonquin bean topping, different than a true Lakeland. If you enjoy the flavor of moth balls with the essence of a dead person, you will like it.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Haha, OK guys. I'm all for trying tobacco just for the experience. A bit strapped for cash at the moment, so this is a long term project. Looks like Ennerdale is out of stock at several places anyway.
I think next up is Escudo or another of the Perique blends, which I'm looking forward to! Saved all this info on my computer and will slowly start working my way through a tin/ounce of these...

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Beast, you['re on the right track in your approach of researching by categories. I think you'll educate your palate faster than just wily-nilly trying blends at random, no matter how well known or respected the particular brand.
Cosmic, post like yours trigger my TAD. I like cigar leaf blends. Although not technically one, I ordered a few ounces of the original Semois.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
To tempt you to try it, here's a high resolution photo of a lit bowl of the delicious 1792 Flake:
image_zpsq0gpnsin.jpeg

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Beast, you['re on the right track in your approach of researching by categories. I think you'll educate your palate faster than just wily-nilly trying blends at random, no matter how well known or respected the particular brand.
Yes, I'm hoping it will give me a sort of map for the wider world of tobacco, and I can further pursue my favorite categories.
---------------------------------------Updated Checklist---------------------------------------​
Aromatics - I've tried plenty of these.
"English" / Latakia blends - I've tried Nightcap and the hybrid FM Cellar, and like both.
Non-aromatics - I've tried several of these, and have found some I like. MC 5100 is my favorite so far.
Virginia / Perique blends - I ordered some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake and enjoyed it. I've only smoked it once, so I need to give it a few more smokes to develop a full opinion of it, but it's certainly a nice, enjoyable smoke.
Oriental / Balkan Blends - I ordered some Match Balkan Sobranie and McClelland No. 2045 Oriental. I have enjoyed the 2045, which I tried first because it was less Latakia forward and I wanted to really enjoy the Orientals without having them too covered with latakia. Looking forward to giving the Match a go soon.
Lakeland blends - Untried. I think I will go with some 1792 and Ennerdale.
Cigar Leaf blends - Untried. I will probably get some Key Largo and/or Billy Budd.
Exotic / Misc. Tobacco - Untried. I'll order some Semois and try to track down some Tambolaka.
Lastly, I've also enjoyed some rope/twist tobacco. I really enjoyed the G&H Sweet Maple Twist. It has a subtle topping of maple that blends perfectly with the strong tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.