Cheat Sheet for New Pipe-Smokers (Need Your Help With Some Crowd-Sourcing!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
Great list of practical advice. I would only add that IMHO I would clean a pipe far more often, in fact after each bowl. Perhaps that is obsessive, but I like the sweet clean start of a pipe that has been clean, than one that maybe should have been cleaned before using. I'd also add, which I know is not popular with some, for heaven's sake don't inhale! Studies show that moderate use of a pipe, seven bowls or less a week and no inhaling is not significant in calculating the dangers of cancer. Besides, I can enjoy the taste and aroma of a good pipe without the clobber of inhaling. Finally, as you can guess from such a fussy guy, I let my pipes rest a least a week or more after one bowl. Again, they are a pleasure to smoke when well cleaned and well rested. Besides it's a good excuse to have a large stable of pipes to enjoy.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I copied the cheat sheet to MS word and printed it. I'm sure an occasional review will help keep me straight.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
One suggestion if I may...
As Brian says "I am the leading expert on my opinion, and you are all welcome to it." One of the biggest "ah ha" moments I ever had was the drying of my tobacco. Moisture control is the key to a good experience, too much is no good as well as too little but too little is much better that too much IMHO. Tongue bite is typically caused by either chemicals or moisture or the combination of the two, both can be mitigated by drying of the tobacco.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Thank you to all that commented and offered feedback!
I really appreciate the feedback. I really wanted to make a quick a simple cheat sheet aimed at the mechanics of pip-smoking for my friend - which is why I didn't include topics such as storage and tobacco choice (as my buddy didn't really have these problems). I think there is definitely room for more of these, focusing on other beginning areas of the pipe-hobby, such as tobacco storage/cellaring, advanced pipe maintenance (reaming, etc.), rehydrating/drying methods, and others.
To respond to a few of your awesome comments,
@rothnh

Also, I'd mention patience up front. IMHO, patience touches everything we do in our hobby and it is often the hardest thing for a new pipe smoker to learn.

Absolutely! I take that maxim so much for granted that I didn't even think to include it.
@ciderguy

I highly recommend the new pipe smoker use matches, if for no other reason than it is less likely to char the rim of the pipe. Plus the new smoker doesn't always have a feel for how much some tobaccos will expand once lit.

It's far to easy to burn the rim when you start out - and in my case still. :(

You might want to say something about common conditions, such as tongue burn and dry mouth. I know many new pipe smokers that decide they like it and end up with horribly burned tongues after going from one or two bowls per day to trying five or six.

Hehe, I may have done that...
@allan

Personally, I like to use a bristle cleaner before I use the fluffy one on the stem.

Step 2 in the thorough cleaning section was meant to be a bristle cleaner, but I didn't call it out. Oddly, all my buddy has are hard-bristle cleaners (another thing we need to talk about probably).
@Eric

Good job, however blowing down the shank is a very very valuable and good technique for reducing moisture (it eliminates gurgle) within the pipe without using a pipe cleaner and it can getting it burning better without being much hotter by igniting more of the tobacco ... I would remove this from do nots and instead explain when you should

I thought about including this, and the other effect I've heard for blowing in the pipe, to rehydrate slightly dry tobaccos - but decided that they fell in the intermediate to advanced areas. I wanted this cheat sheet to be as simple as possible and promote overall "good" habits. I felt that getting into the delicacies of when it might be okay to blow down the stem would be a bit much to try and cover in the intended brevity.
@estumpf

for heaven's sake don't inhale!

I agree one-thousand percent, but this not so much a habit as a choice.

I would only add that IMHO I would clean a pipe far more often, in fact after each bowl ... Again, they are a pleasure to smoke when well cleaned and well rested.

A good bit of advice, but again, I just wanted to advocate the essential habits in a short and sweet format.
@Mike

Moisture control is the key to a good experience

Definitely, but I think this deserves its own cheat sheet, along with simple drying and rehydrate techniques.
--
Again, thank you very much to all those who commented - I really appreciate it and read every response. And, feel free to keep commenting if you find anything else. Meanwhile, I'll get a copy of this off to my buddy and I'll let you all know how it is received.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a great summary of pipe smoking technique. I think I'd let someone smoke a pipe for a few weeks

and just enjoy it, unless they were getting everything wrong and were about to give up. Seeing it all on the page

like that might make it seem over-complicated, unless a person is a naturally methodical individual who

always goes by the instruction manual, which few are. The beauty of the list is that it answers a lot of

questions, and that's when its value comes into focus. Nice job. I don't follow every suggestion and

procedure, but where I don't, I know why I make a different choice.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Excellent resource. Our own Kashmir has also created sheets for tobacco blends (Touchstone blends?) For myself, wading thru the huge number of styles and blends was the most challenging aspect of the hobby.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I read some very good information in this post. Thank you very much for putting this up.
As a new pipe smoker, the bit of advise that really changes my experience with the pipe had to do with the drawing and how to puff you tobacco. I had an individual explain it like this...
"to test your draw on your pipe, first draw through the pipe empty. You want to pull (inhale) light enough that you do not create a 'whistle' sound. You will be suprised at how light your draw will have to be. Now, fill the pipe as you normally would so when you draw at the same rate, the airways is just slightly restricted."
This technique really helped my slow down and makes my Virginia blends sing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would add that when packing your pipe, you should always check the draw before lighting to make sure you have some resistance. I believe many new smokers pack too loosely and therefore get a hotter smoke. Flakes especially need more resistance than you would think.
In terms of cleaning, I always clean my pipes the next day which I believe gives the cake time to harden. I also never use a paper towel to wipe out the bowl, I will use a doubled over pipe cleaner and lightly get any ash or loose tobacco.
When dumping ash, I use the pick end of my tamper to loosen the ash and then carefully tilt the bowl and dump.
Also when emptying your pipe either use a pipe knocker that is attached to your ashtray or use your hand, never tap your bowl on anything hard, you wouldn't believe how easy it is to dent your rim.
For getting char marks off your rim, spit works great. Put some spit on your finger, wipe the rim and then with a soft cloth rub it off. You will be amazed at what comes off.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
Thank you. This has helped me with some of the basics as I am new to pipe smoking. I will be sure to share the knowledge with those who follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.