PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"My model railroads would have no people,"
Ken, I thought you modelled those yourself. Wasn't it you who posted pictures on the hobby thread of miniature railway buildings and people?
Regards,
Jay.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I didn't know if I should start a new thread or not. This thread isn't too old.
So, it's Christmas Eve and what should I open but one of the Chinese pipes I mentioned. It's "Ebony" and has a little plastic stand, a pipe tool, a few pipe cleaners, and a screen in case I want to smoke reefer in it ;) . I got it from my sweet girlfriend who purchased it from Amazon. It's a nice looking pipe.
I've looked up Ebony as a pipe wood and the consensus is that it's not bad at all. Of course the question is whether or not it is actually Ebony. I buy knives from China occasionally and the question is the same. Is it really the alloy it is purported to be? In that case I will surf forums and buy knives which others have bought and been satisfied with. If the steel walks and talks like 440C it does not matter if it is actually 9cr13mov.
So, any experience with the "Ebony" pipes from China. My ladyfriend who has tolerated my taking up smoking again without a peep bought it for me. I'd like to feel good about using it a lot.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I can remember when anything cheaply made or substandard was referred to as made in Japan. Anything marked "Made In Japan" was undoubtedly junk 8O My how times have changed.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Put it up on the mantle and tell your girlfriend it’s too beautiful to smoke. Anytime a pipe is described as Rosewood or Ebony, they probably aren’t -more likely a cheap, readily available hardwood with a thick “Rosewood or ebony” finish...

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Typing this secretly. Please help me. First two bowls did not taste good. ;)
Ozark Mountain birch pipes taste poorly for a few bowls so I'm a hopin'.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you shop extensively and patiently, you can find many brand name briar pipes at reasonable prices, often on sale. Recently (maybe still on offer) PC had brushed Stanwells for $39.99. Iwan Ries has Ewas, small pipes but that can give a long smoke with flake or plug, for about $38. PC recently had a Tsuge "tasting pipe," a full size sandblast billiard, for $39.99. So given that a good pipe, even at a moderate price, can last you for the rest of your life, in many instances, these are entirely reasonable and affordable prices. If you want to get wild and crazy, you can blow all of fifty or sixty dollars, and think what you might get for that, if you shop smart. My point is, you can get a good pipe at a low price.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
There is actually a nice little shop locally which refurbishes estate pipes. I was hinting at a nice one for $20. My lady didn't want to "get me a pipe which had been in someone else's mouth".

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I know. I've got a couple used pipes right now and I've purchased estates before. This shop actually has a little workshop and he makes simple briars himself as well. His estates look brand new.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
If you want good cheap pipes I would suggest The Pipe Shop in the UK. Parkers are about $35 after currency conversion.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I've smoked the pipe a few times and I'm actually kind of scared of it. I'm spoiled by cobs for one. The cigar leaf blend I'm smoking tastes immeasurably better in a cob. So much better that I want a pipeful in the cob right after smoking the Chinese pipe.
I smoked a bowl in a homemade, rustic pipe I made from Maple and it also did not match the cob in flavor. I know what it is made of for sure. Still, it was better than the Chinese Christmas pipe.
The Christmas pipe has a very shiny, plasticy finish on the outside and I can't get over thinking that it translates to the inside of the bowl too.
My lady and I are usually pretty straight up with each other, one thing I love about her. I've just told her it has an "off" taste and that I'm spoiled by cobs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a moderate smoker, a bowl a day or so, and sometimes a few days off. So i wouldn't bother with a pipe that tastes off and doesn't look well made. Sometimes with a new quality pipe or a well sanitized estate, you can get off flavors, and usually they will fade. But if you have the sense that you are probably smoking plastic, you don't want to do that. I'd retire this pipe as a decorative item (to spare your wife's feelings) and eventually buy a good name brand briar pipe to try. Several members here smoke only cobs, quality cobs from Missouri Meerschaum or Old Dominion, and nearly all members enjoy cobs as part of their rotation. I wouldn't continue with this pipe if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.