PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I posted this in beginners because I don't want I am reposting backlash:) I have good pipes and have been smoking for awhile. I have a 20ish $ simple wood pipe that I dedicated to English style tobacco. Smoked maybe 10-15 times max. At the bottom I get a sour burnt, even wood burning taste. My cadence is slow to minimize the taste. Yes I clean the bowl frequently and don't smoke it fast. This why I posted it because I feel like I dealt with the basic issues, maybe not. Is it better to constantly cash out the bottom every time or will time and seasoning fix the problem? What is the best way to do so?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Either the pipe sucks which for 20ish not surprising. Could be a hardwood pipe and I hear they taste horrid for the first several smokes. And some pipes just burnout and it taste horrid. Only had it happen once and it was terrible. For whatever reason sometimes the briar will burn and it's mostly down to the pipe or massive pipe abuse (over the long term).

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Definitely crappy wood, not briar pipe. Just wondering if there is a better cake producing technique. Less burning at bottow cashing out a little unsmoked tobacco, super slow simmer to ash. Or it will always just taste horrible.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are good smoking pipes you can buy for thirty to sixty bucks that won't taste bad even at first. Try Rossi (made by Savinelli), Tsuge tasting pipes, Kaywoodie, MM cob special editions with acrylic stems, unfinished Savinelli, Ropps, and right now GBD seconds at Iwan Ries. Don't waste your time with bad tasting pipes.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've a pipe like that, 'cept that I paid over $100 for it. ?

In my case I think it's mostly the wooden stem that causes the burnt wood taste—then again cobs have wooden shanks and we don't get that... ?

I've given up on it ever getting fixed. I've dedicated it to English blends: with latakia tasting like burnt leather or wood, well, maybe the burnt tastes will camouflage each other.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I have the Missouri Meerschaum wizard churchwarden in the cobbit collection. That is one of the most incredible pipes I ever smoked. Chugs like a chimney, smooth cool smoke, insanely worth the money. I fortunately have other decent pipes, just didn't know if anyway to salvage a crappy one.

Reactions: Bluemonter
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Definitely crappy wood, not briar pipe. Just wondering if there is a better cake producing technique. Less burning at bottow cashing out a little unsmoked tobacco, super slow simmer to ash. Or it will always just taste horrible.
If you’ve got a decent pipe, the cake is honestly not necessary to protect it. Some folks prefer cake, but that’s a personal preference. It’s not going to destroy a well-made pipe if it’s absent. Sounds like yours is a turd, which sucks, but if it’s made out of a wood not conducive to pipe smoking, it’s not worth your time to try to fix it. Ditch that pipe. If price is an issue, get yourself some cobs. They will generally smoke great and not break the bank.

Reactions: jeepnewbie