PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I have two Meerschaum pipes, one is a cheap pressed Meerschaum and the other is made from a quality Meerschaum block and was much more expensive.

The esthetic qualities between the two aside, I can't tell the difference when smoked. Both are completely flavorless. I'm guessing the Meerschaum block pipe will color better over time but again that's an esthetic thing. In fact of the two the cheaper pressed Meerschaum might smoke a little better due to a larger draft hole.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I hear they use binders to keep the pressed meer together and that they break over time. I wouldn't want to be smoking that. Loose draw is very important to me, which is why I always look for 4mm draft holes or larger.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Yep, I'm going to have to start looking at draft hole sizes when I order. I think cobs smoke as well as they do, partially because of open drafts.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Frankly, I don't like the look of cobs, but they're superb smokers without the filters in my opinion. I wasted $100 on a very beautiful meerschaum, but unfortunately the draw is too tight for me. I bought a meer from a different company (IMP), and it's my best smoker. Loose draw, never gurgles. It's basically the only pipe I smoke now... I've been thinking about selling a few of my briars and my other meer.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
@marcel Sorry to back the original post how do you know that you have a pressed meerschaum pipe?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@rottingcorpse- There must be a way you can open up the draw on that meer. $100 is too much money down the drain to have a pipe sit unsmoked.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
I think there is still a confusion about the difference between block and pressed meerschaum.
Even block meerschaum has many quality grades.We classified them in 6 grades.below 4 (1-2-3) has really a bad quality. First of all they are heavier.they dont smoke well.they do not absorbs the nicotone well.thats why they do not color in a proper way.They may even crack like pressed ones.
Grade 4-5 is good.

Grade 6 is the premium one(which is used only by 2-3 companies,artisans very few)
Pressed ones heavier than grade 4-5-6 block ones.
It is mostly difficult to know if you have a pressed one or grade 1-2-3 block one.they have the same features.Mostly today the bad meerschaum pipes are made by grade 1-2-3 grades Block meerschaum.

In the past we have seen good examples of pressed ones.they were made of grade 5-6 block meerschaum pieces.but they were all produced for calabash bowl inserts and meerschaum linings and souvenirs.

Today there is no pressed meerschaum.Producing a good quality pressed meerschaum needs a good technology and a very big facility that you can not imagine.

Bahadir

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I don't remember exactly what I payed for these pipes but the pipe on the right was much cheaper.
IMG_1397.jpg

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
If I were a betting man, I'd bet they are both block meer.
I know that yellow stem though... I know it well, and that stem would have to go! :D

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
As i said being cheap does not mean it is made of pressed one .

Both are mostly from block meerschaum but their grades are different

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
I can not talk about the others as this is not fair.
but i can say that we are the one of them who use grade 6 premium block meerschaum.

There are only 2 villages where this grade 6 block meerschaum is mined.However it is still tricky that even block meerschaums which mined in this two villages do not have the same grade.it is needed to approach with a scientific way.the density of the block is important here.
All block meerschaums that we have supplied is carefully selected and inspected by our experts.

Also still it is not enough to have the grade 6 block meerschaum,It is also needs to be carved with a grade 6 workmanship.

All of above create a great meerschaum pipe.unfortunately you dont have so many option.

Status
Not open for further replies.