PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
You might still be able to get pint of Genesee cream ale at bars in upstate New York for $1. Went buying a six pack I think it often was around .70 a can.
Around here, Catawba Brewing Farmer Ted sells like hotcakes, but very few know that the origins of "Cream Ale" start and end with ol' Jenny. It's not some archaic European style that was lost and only recently revived ?. Farmer Ted may have actually started the whole trend of microbreweries being okay with making lighter domestic style beers (at least, they're ok with the sales #s, customers have been begging breweries for "something like bud" since the craft craze kicked off in the early oughts).
download (1).jpeg

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Welcome from Western Canada! I tend not to look at the price of beer or tobacco. I am interested in taste. I buy what I enjoy, sometimes it is cheap, sometimes it is expensive. Price is not necessarily a fair indicator for me, there are cheap tobaccos or beers that I enjoy and ones I don’t, same thing for the expensive counterparts. That said, I am not in the elite or luxury end of either the tobacco or beer market, that doesn’t fit my economic sensibilities. It is enough that I am in the Canadian market.

Jan 27, 2020
Around here, Catawba Brewing Farmer Ted sells like hotcakes, but very few know that the origins of "Cream Ale" start and end with ol' Jenny. It's not some archaic European style that was lost and only recently revived ?. Farmer Ted may have actually started the whole trend of microbreweries being okay with making lighter domestic style beers (at least, they're ok with the sales #s, customers have been begging breweries for "something like bud" since the craft craze kicked off in the early oughts).
View attachment 30545

I’ll try it if I ever see it but had to stop drinking Genesee, gives me indigestion...

Reactions: Dave4211

Dave4211

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2020
Tennessee
I
Welcome from NC! I used to work down the road from Catawba Brewing, and might have gigged some of the same breweries and taprooms as you over the years. I second the recommendation for D&R. When it goes on sale the prices aren't too far from your Cherokee, and most of their brands are dual use for ryo too. My domestic brew sleeper favorite is Old Mil (NOT beast), cheaper than bud, but tastier than pbr or Busch. Really not that far off from Farmer Ted, which most fans don't realize is just a "craft" version of the extremely cheap Genesee Cream Ale.

Rush, I'll definitely check out the d&r stuff. I see it here in my p&c catalog. First, I want to give the local b&m a try as I've been in there pretty infrequently over the months I've been back down here.

I played at Catawba in Morganton one or two times, sitting in with a band and doing a short set here and there so they could take a break. I keep meaning to set something up with them, but it hasn't come through yet. Hell, now I don't know if anybody's booking anything at all.

I discovered Farmer Ted's Cream Ale at the co-op in Asheville, one of my favorite old busking spots. I like busking just as much as I do playing inside, but the money hasn't been worth it for a long time. Nashville got too noisy. Asheville got too crowded. Etc.

In this shutdown, I've stayed busy with occasional roof repairs and songwriting. I wrote around 15 new ones in the last few weeks. I'm working on a novel. Camped out on the reservation, mostly.

My fiancee goes to town way more than I do. You can't make her sit still. I ain't lost nothing in town, myself.

You know way more about beer than I do, but I'm always willing to try something new. If it isn't too hoppy, I'll like it. Dark, light, whatever. High alcohol is great if the beer seems balanced. I'm certainly not a beer connoisseur.

It's nice to meet you.

Reactions: rushx9

Dave4211

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2020
Tennessee
Welcome from Western Canada! I tend not to look at the price of beer or tobacco. I am interested in taste. I buy what I enjoy, sometimes it is cheap, sometimes it is expensive. Price is not necessarily a fair indicator for me, there are cheap tobaccos or beers that I enjoy and ones I don’t, same thing for the expensive counterparts. That said, I am not in the elite or luxury end of either the tobacco or beer market, that doesn’t fit my economic sensibilities. It is enough that I am in the Canadian market.

What little I know about Western Canada, I read it in James Oliver Curwood's novels and a few others. I bet it's awfully pretty up there.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I

Rush, I'll definitely check out the d&r stuff. I see it here in my p&c catalog. First, I want to give the local b&m a try as I've been in there pretty infrequently over the months I've been back down here.

I played at Catawba in Morganton one or two times, sitting in with a band and doing a short set here and there so they could take a break. I keep meaning to set something up with them, but it hasn't come through yet. Hell, now I don't know if anybody's booking anything at all.

I discovered Farmer Ted's Cream Ale at the co-op in Asheville, one of my favorite old busking spots. I like busking just as much as I do playing inside, but the money hasn't been worth it for a long time. Nashville got too noisy. Asheville got too crowded. Etc.

In this shutdown, I've stayed busy with occasional roof repairs and songwriting. I wrote around 15 new ones in the last few weeks. I'm working on a novel. Camped out on the reservation, mostly.

My fiancee goes to town way more than I do. You can't make her sit still. I ain't lost nothing in town, myself.

You know way more about beer than I do, but I'm always willing to try something new. If it isn't too hoppy, I'll like it. Dark, light, whatever. High alcohol is great if the beer seems balanced. I'm certainly not a beer connoisseur.

It's nice to meet you.
Good to meet you, man. All my gigs were canceled and nobody had really started back booking around here yet. I ran a craft taproom for a while then managed Granite Falls Brewing, not far from Catawba, a few years ago. Then moved back to Asheville for a while and was digging the beer and music scene there, but it is indeed too crowded, good luck finding affordable housing. So I moved back to my hometown where I worked at Newgrass brewing for a little over a year. Now I sit on my butt and smoke my pipe reading this forum all day!