PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
brad's buffer is really smart because of its dual purpose. A shop buffer is a wonderful thing (though I don't own one) but you have to have self-restraint. You can whisk off a pipe's finish and make the stamp fade and do other damage. If I were doing restorations in high numbers and buying lots of pipes to restore, then a buffer would make solid sense.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
This one will get you going in your desired price range. I haven't used this particular one so can't vouch for durability, just offering it up as food for thought. It's low speed is rated at 2000 rpm, which if used with a 6" wheel (which this one seems to accept) will give you ~comparable~ SFPM as a 1725 rpm motor running 8" wheels (which is the most commonly suggested setup) with only a mild increase in speed.
Bench Top Buffer
Just do yourself a favor whichever route you go and buy the 80 ply wheels. You will have a much better experience with the wider wheel than with the skinnier 40 ply wheels. The skinnier wheels will work, they just aren't as comfortable to work with.
The maths on surface feet per minute (SFPM):
SFPM = RPM x Diameter x 0.2618
1725 rpm * 8" Diameter wheel * 0.2618 = ~3612 SFPM

2000 rpm * 6" Diameter wheel * 0.2618 = ~3142 SFPM

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If I were doing restorations in high numbers and buying lots of pipes to restore, then a buffer would make solid sense.
That's true, of course. But if we only did things because they made sense, we probably wouldn't be smoking a pipe in the first place. Then again, if I only bought things that made sense, I'd be able to walk into my garage, basement and office and actually find things that I was looking for.
On a more topical note, in addition to a bench buffer, I also have an old Foredom flex-shaft tool. My father bought it army surplus back in the 60's and now I have it. If you are only doing a few pipes here and there, it's perfect for the job. I like it better than the bench buffer for pipes sometimes because it's easier to to control and work on small areas at a time. If you aren't in a hurry, it's nice.
Here are the recent closed eBay auctions for used Foredom kits, so that you can get an idea of the cost. Look for one with a foot pedal speed control. Parts are readily available for even the oldest models. I don't think that there is much advantage to buying a newer model over an old one.
s-l1600.jpg

This is a newer model Foredom that recently sold on eBay for $125
s-l1600.jpg

Here's one that went for $61

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My advice above was to not waste your money on this setup.
Mine is actually a buffer and not a grinder nor a buffer/grinder combination. I've had it for six months and so far I haven't had a problem but then again, I don't use it on a daily basis or even routinely. As for the router control, I opened mine up and made an adjustment to the speed screw on the inside of it to get it to perform the way I wanted it to.
That being said, yes, there are other options that may work better. My set-up does what I need it to do.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@pappymac - mine was also a Craftsman metal buffer, it just wouldn't spin with any consistency on the speed control. If yours works Ok, it must be OK.
This is interesting:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/DAYTON-6K778-Motor-1-3-HP-Split-Ph-1725-RPM-115-V/533971794?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222227069247971&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=176588773832&wl4=pla-280975901459&wl5=9008037&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=533971794&wl13=&veh=sem

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Late to the party here...
A couple years ago I bought a little Craftsman buffer on clearance for about $100. I think that was half-price. I've used it on all my pipes since then. Before that, I had put a small buffing wheel in my drill press. It worked okay, but the small wheel was difficult to get into corners, and I had a tendency to touch the pipe to the spinning chuck, inevitably scratching it. For that reason, I really don't recommend anything chucked into a regular drill.
The Dremmel tools do have buffing wheels available, and that's not a bad way to go. But again, the small wheels can make it difficult to get into corners.
As has been said, if you want to do some tinkering, you can set up an electric motor (washing machine motor, vacuum cleaner motor, etc.) and rig up a wheel on the arbor. You may have to use bushings to get the arbor to the right size, for example. Get some felt wheels with loose felt, some buffing compound, and off you go.
More important than your exact setup is your technique. When buffing on a stationary tool, hold the pipe below the bottom half of the wheel, not on top of it. You should be lifting the pipe into the wheel, not pushing it down into the wheel. Use two hands at all times, and hold on TIGHT. I've had a buffer throw a pipe across the room and break it in half before. Use a light touch, and keep the pipe moving. (You can put a burn mark on a stem in short order, especially with a high-speed buffer.) Be especially careful around delicate edges, such as the edges on square shanks as well as the button. You will find out with practice how often you have to re-charge the wheel with compound, but I find myself recharging once with each pipe, more or less. Practice will teach you a lot. Good luck!

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
This....
https://www.amazon.com/VARIABLE-POLISHER-BUFFER-Polishing-diameter/dp/B00OTWHYVI/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1534769850&sr=8-15&keywords=jewelry+polisher
Nothing to buy and then assemble. Simply take out of box, attach the buffing wheels and start buffin. ;-)
It's what I've been using for close to 2 years now.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
1/3 of those who bought that buffer gave it a 1 out of 5 rating.
“Less than hour of total up time over 5 different sessions and it stopped working and I was only polishing smoking pipes; spend the extra money to get something more durable.”

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A jewelers buffer, like that one, might work, but it would definitely have limitations. (and eliminate any chance of doing any damage!)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Al, that’s why I like the Foredom. It’s difficult to do any damage.
Hint for buffing: buff in one direction, the shift 45 degrees. Maximum effect with minimal material removal.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Well woods, yer definitely entitled to your opinion. I disagree however.
I've restored/refurbed over 60 briars with this setup without any issues from the buffer.
The only damage to any pipe was when I lost my grip and it shot a stem across the room and broke off the tenon.
No worries though, I simply found a replacement stem and filed and shaped it to fit. Sure, took a little time, but it was on an old estate Clubman and wasn't that big of a deal in the big picture of things.
I should probably go to that site and give this little buffer 5 stars. It's been a fantastic little purchase.
If you're a professional Pipe Doctor, probably not the equipment for you, but if you're like me, an enthusiast that enjoys bringing old tired briars back to life, well then it's the bomb.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
One last comment to the OP of this thread.
If this is gonna be your first try at buffin, polishin and restorin briars, I'd recommend you start out on an old inexpensive basket/estate pipe. That way, if you do screw it up, you've really lost nothing of any great value.
I started out on old no name and other cheap drugstore pipes before I ever attempted to work on my Dunhills, Charatans, Petersons or Sav's.
just my $0.02

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Bonanza, I wasn’t stating my opinion. I have no opinion on your buffer, since I’ve never used it. I was simply restating the review information from the Amazon page that you linked to.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Say what you will Woods, your initial post, that I responded to, in no way reflected your later disclaimer. It quite looks like "Stomping".
Your attempted justification to my response, is also less than forthright.
The truth of the matter is that 37% of the folks that purchased it gave it 5 stars !
Here's the very first review...

5.0 out of 5 starsWell worth the low price... arrived insanely fast.

January 21, 2018

Verified Purchase

I purchased this buffer to replace a 6" bench grinder with cotton buffing wheels on it. The buffing wheels on the grinder don't have a solid center, so the slightest amount of pressure causes the wheels to spin on the arbor, so I took a chance on this little machine. the nice thing about this buffer is the spindles, which are reverse 'threaded' so the more pressure you apply, the tighter the wheels become. it's nice that it has a variable speed dial, because I use this machine to polish my watch, and this buffer saves me about $100 each time I shine my watch.
If this machine has a characteristic (which I Don't consider this a bad thing), is that the machine gives a little 'kick' when you turn it on. I'd definitely buy another one of these, and recommend it to a friend
So, I'll stand by my initial response to your "hit job" of this buffer. Sadly not at all dissimilar to the kind of reporting we are all subjected to on any of the MSM news sources nowadays.
If it doesn't live up to your "standards" , well then, so be it. But it doesn't deserve the "drive-by" snarky crap that you saw fit to sling at it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Please go back an re-read what I wrote. My reference to “damage” was a direct response to Al Jones statement immediately predeeding my post about your buffer NOT doing damage. I concurred that the Foredom was similar in that regard.
As for the Amazon review, a 33% one star rating is exceptionally bad and a 37% 5 star rating isn’t very good. Granted, however that’s only based on 27 reviews, a relatively very small sample. You obviously like your buffer, that’s cool. But I’d hesitate to buy something that 30% of purchasers didn’t like.
And your MSM comment? I don’t get that. Explain.
I think that you are looking for a fight with me, and I’m not sure why.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Not lookin for a fight Woods. Just not gonna walk away from one either.
The MSM comment, stated bluntly, is that far too many folks have fallen into the habit of espousing half truths, not unlike the Main Stream Media.
To your 1/3 comment. What you failed to mention is that 48% or so gave it 4 stars or higher. 67% gave it 3 stars or better.
No, it's not rave reviews, but for love of Pete, it's $50 !!!!
A far cry from what many have proposed be spent on ad hoc solutions that require assembly of some sort.
Back to the fight... I don't come here looking for fights. I responded to the OP's inquiry with an honest and sincere "Cheap" buffer solution.
Your response bristled my sensibilities. Your follow up seemed to be a passive aggressive justification of said response.
If I have misunderstood your intentions, well then I truly apologize, no further commentary is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.