PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If there are so many Forums members in the general area, why does the N.C. State Fair Grounds flea market, the antique stores, yard sales and flea markets have no pipes at all? I guess we've bought them all up. Not only don't they carry any, but if you ask about them, people look at you suspiciously like you'd asked to buy something illicit, and this was a big tobacco growing state and still is. I'm mystified. When I travel out of state and go to any little antique shop, there are a pile of pipes, usually not much good, sometimes pretty good. I did find two Calabash pipes (real gourds) at the Fair Grounds flea market; the guy selling didn't know a thing about them and had them priced way up, so I wasn't interested. Others sent me all over the market, but there wasn't anything there.

tosmith10

Lurker
Jan 15, 2016
Hey mso489, I am right here in Charlotte, NC and have recently gone by the Sleepy Poet Antique Mall and found a few pipes. Now, I am by no means up on my pipe game as lots of you are, but I I did find it worth a look.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Only 9 months since the last post in this thread so I figured I'd join the forum to chime in. I'm in the Winston-Salem area and as someone who inherited some pipes a while back I will tell why there aren't pipes in the flea markets and thrift shops here, because everyone keeps them!

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thanks dog,
this is the first time I've seen this thread.
I'm in Pinehurst and would be more than happy to meet up with some folks in the area or any outta towners down for a round @ one of the courses.
Dino

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Asheville is a beautiful place I need to get up there soon. Last time I went to the JR Cigars in Mooresville I was greatly disappointed in the pipe tobacco selection, anyone been by there recently? I love the Burlington JR Cigars though as well as the Pipe and Pint in Greensboro. And some golf down around Pinehurst sounds awesome, never played down there before!

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I concur ! Asheville is indeed a Beautiful Place! I'm fortunate enough to have some good friends up there and try to make up any excuse I can to get up there and see em. :)
As for the JR stores.... I've only ever been to one of them, the one in Smithfield NC, and although I've been in there dozens of times, it was only for cigars back then, pipes weren't really on my radar, so I don't recall if they had any pipe baccy or not. Good cigars and cigar paraphernalia though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Haven't been to JR Smithfield in two or three years, and the chain has undergone some changes I hear. However, when I was there they had a plentiful supply of pipe tobacco, plenty of tubs of codger blends but also a nice array of Dunhill and MacBaren blends in tins, and maybe some others. I don't recall any bulk. They had quite a rack of Dr. G. pipes in plastic. My only complaint was, that because of the chain store aspect and the size of the cigar and pipe shop, all of the up-market pipes were in a glass case, so you had to engage a salesperson to show them to you, hence you couldn't really spend much time browsing and meditating over the pipes. I'm someone who can take an hour, several days, weeks or months to buy a pipe, so I didn't even bother to look at them except to peer through the glass case and try to spot prices. But I simply couldn't buy a pipe there.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Just returning after a 2 year break from the forum. Hope we can get a bigger group together in the area. I am planning on going to the meeting at JR Cigar on the next Sunday they meet, now that they have a name...Aromatic Pharts

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Hobie,
I can't make it this coming Sunday. But would be able to do so over one of the next few upcoming Sundays.

jltrow

Lurker
Aug 25, 2017
I'm from Statesville but I'm currently living East of Raleigh. Are there any pipe clubs out this way? I contacted the Triangle Area Pipe Smokers/Society and they seem to be taking a hiatus. I know there is one that meets at Ansteads in Fayetteville but that is a bit of a drive.
mso489, I would give JRs in Smithfield another shot. Especially if you can catch Jim there. He seems to really know his stuff about pipes and even cigars. The new lounge looks great although I did not stop for a smoke. It's definitely not what it was a couple of years ago although I still think the pipe are in jail in that glass case.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Charlotte resident here. Anyone know of any clubs or get togethers in the area? Or, anyone interested in getting together?

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I'd be interested in getting together! Seems like the Aromatic Pharts have met up in Mooresville. I still need to make a trip down to McCrannies to check it out. Anyone know if the stock is similar at both locations?

padgaland

Lurker
Oct 23, 2015
The small cigar shop in Birkdale Village near Huntersville now has a pipe night first Tuesday of the month at 6 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.