PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
From what I know from people in the club, they are coveted... if you can get one, I would jump on it

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
That is cool then, there is one and maybe 2 on the way. I bought them from John, sight unseen because I know if he says they are great pipes, I am completely sure they are. One is a Lane Era Belvdere and the other I am not sure but it is also a Charatan.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have an old Charatan, I don't remember when I got it but its got to be 25 years old. Big bowl but on the thin side. Consequently, it tends to smoke hot.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Decent pipe, but honestly for that money you can get a much better smoke. I have a short billiard and it's a great smoker, but when I see what some of them go for I'm amazed

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Its always said price dont make the pipe. I got several baskets that smoke great I got a estae petersen not so good. And an estate Ben Wade that just sucks. Its a crap shoot. But i gave the Ben Wade to a friend and its his best smoker. Different strokes for different Folks. I can agree Cheritan are quility built but have never owned one personally.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
They are my #1 collectible and great smoking pipes. They may be a bit expensive when you get into the higher grades but nothing can compare to the fine straight grains they made years ago. Most Charatan pipes hold their value over the years, and the different shapes that they made are endless. The lower grades of authentic, perfection, and belvedere can be had for reasonable prices for someone starting out in collecting/smoking Charatan Pipes, and they will smoke as well as any higher graded Charatan, I recommend them highly.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have two, Lane era "After Hours" and they smoke wonderfully. The straight billiard had some wicked ghosts that took 5-10 bowls to banish, but once did, is a great pipe. The bent billiard is a new acquisition/refub and it is amazing (big, thick, heavy). I prefer bent pipes, so this one is a favorite.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Good looking pipes Al. I really do like the Free shape Charatans but they can get outrageous. They seem to be one of the original free shape English pipe makers, kind of a tighter free shape than the dutch. The Lane Era pipes did not really suffer that much in quality, from what I have heard, unlike my beloved GBD after they were bought out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm watching this one now, I love the freehand blast Charatans and they are always large in size. This one will blow past my budget, so bid away....
$(KGrHqF,!r!E88gTl4g8BPZjDjNc7w~~60_57.JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interestingly, the Double-Comfort stems are not reported to be much loved, but I find mine to be very comfortable. That straight stem DC has the best feeling Vulcanite of any that I own (most of my pipes are Vulcanite). It just has a soft, rubbery feel that is amazing. The stem on the bent billiard is a little more firm but still excellent.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well, I bought mine from John Manytrees, he says there great and I believe him, I think he discribed the other one as a cross between a poker and a billiard so I will be surprised when I get it.

johninkc

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2012
I collect Charatan's Make. I have to have at least 60. My collection is not a one-pony show, but they are clearly the majority.
I would not buy them if they were not good pipes.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
Never really cottoned too much to the DC bit, but they're nice pipes for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.