PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Got a Email...
https://www.gqtobaccos.com/charatan-dunhill-replacements/
Seems only for Europeans, but I'm hoping they will come to the US.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Hold on....I'm still laughing and coughing up a lung over the *Smoking kills - quit now* banner streamed across the cover of the tin. I've other warnings, but not that one, yet.
Now as for the tobacco...I agree, don't see too much difference in the other match blends. Only way to know for sure would be to smoke them up and see.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Yea...the two companies where joined at the hip for some time...maybe they would have a 'in' with the blender, but probably not.
I'll just buy some 'white spot' pipes and go back to smoking cherry flavored weeds.

Oct 7, 2016
In all likelihood, STG owns the recipes and licenses the names from Dunhill. Nothing precludes them from making say, London Mixture, and putting it in a tin under another name. The labels I have seen say Made in the EU for House of Edgeworth. House of Edgeworth is a private Swiss company that owns a lot of tobacco trademarks. Edgeworth tobacco is made by Lane, an affiliate of STG. STG has a plant in Denmark, an EU member. An educated guess: These are not match blends, they are identical. Of course, smokers may never believe this, and it may or may not be acknowledged in marketing under the new name. My guess is it won't be.

Reactions: mingc

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
These are not match blends, they are identical. Of course, smokers may never believe this, and it may or may not be acknowledged in marketing under the new name.

:clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Dunhill blend people left the money on the table. I presumed they'd sell or license the blends. In any case, the money isn't going to stay on the table, so we'll see who picks it up. Seems like a bad, or several bad business decisions here.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In all likelihood, STG owns the recipes and licenses the names from Dunhill. Nothing precludes them from making say, London Mixture, and putting it in a tin under another name.
Well, it's not quite so clear. Evidently STG either sold or licensed the blends to K&K, and BAT filed suit, claiming that STG did not have the right to do that. Hence, the recently released clones by K&K under the McConnell Heritage label are in legal limbo for the moment.
Edgeworth tobacco is made by Lane, an affiliate of STG. STG has a plant in Denmark, an EU member. An educated guess: These are not match blends, they are identical. Of course, smokers may never believe this, and it may or may not be acknowledged in marketing under the new name. My guess is it won't be.
There are two companies offering an Edgeworth match, Lane and Sutliff. Jiminks knows a bit about these blends and might be able to speak to their origins.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I would think that the executives of Dunhill would want to monetize the recipes of these time-honored blends, no matter what.
I can see them wanting to get out from under the 'curse' of tobacco, but money?
Looked at what Dunhill sells now, upscale...$1000 sweatshirts and $2000 shoes...(the unique lighter is a affordable $470 though).
I bet we will see someone come out with these blends and with a nudge and wink, it'll be the same as it ever was...mostly.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Lane makes an Edgeworth clone. They do not use the Edgeworth name. AFAIK, there is no connection between STG and House of Edgeworth. Any speculation that the Charatan-branded Dunghill clones are the same thing that STG was producing for BAT is just that: speculation.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Licensing arrangements over the name(s), ownership of the recipes, distribution rights, contracts with suppliers- all these things are unknown to most of us, and I bet no one here knows enough about all the parts.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
In regard to the Edgeworth matches: When ERR was discontinued, Sutliff's master blender Carl McAllister recreated it, and in my opinion, was very successful The only real difference I note is the original had a little deeper molasses flavor. I'd say it's 95% of what the original was.
In the case of Lane, they are using the original formula, but it doesn't taste quite the same. The cut of the tobacco is a little different, and there's a little more cocoa taste than molasses, whereas the original and Sutliff match flavor had/have less cocoa than molasses. Why is it different? Lane uses different sources for the tobaccos and the flavorings, the latter accounting for the difference in the ratio of cocoa to molasses.
So, even if a company has the recipes for the Dunhill blends, if they don't use the same sources, the blends will not be 100% accurate.

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
McConnell is making all the Dunhill blends including flake. Look at the HU website under McConnell Heritage Blends.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I bought three tins of the new 'No 10' mixture which is a copy/clone of London Mixture. It was delivered yesterday.
I've had two bowls of it - not bad as a copy although, not having JimInk's flavour memory, I really would need to pop a tin of London Mixture and compare side by side.
The one thing that struck me is how wet it is out of the tin - usually Dunhills are ok out of the tin but not this one.
Mike

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
No dog in this fight. I have one old-ass tin of original Charatan tobacco, but it's an aro so I likely won't open it.
I honestly didn't think they still tinned tobacco.
Live and learn. We need to get a forum member stationed at Menwith hill so they can ship the stuff APO back to the states...

Status
Not open for further replies.