Changing Burning Characteristics after aging?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I confess to being a little confused by the question. I don't attribute "bite" to burning characteristics at all. I attribute it to smoking approach (on the part of the smoker) and the inherent characteristics of the blend being smoked. That is, some blends, no matter how you approach them, are going to be easily provoked.
If anything, a blend that's been jarred for a year might be a bit drier than a fresh tin -- although not necessarily -- and that will only help to reduce bite. (Overly moist tobacco that bites will bite more than if it were drier.) In fact, in my experience, age only serves to mellow and enrich blends.
Which specific Virginia/burley blends are you having trouble with?
Bob

I've heard that red Virginias will settle down on their bite after a couple of years, but I've not actually noticed this, myself. I have some three year old Virginia #1 that I don't notice any difference in from the fresh stuff. But, I kind of like the tingly bitey taste. It goes away soon after I stop smoking. I think of it as like jalapenos in my chili, ha ha.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"I've heard that red Virginias will settle down on their bite after a couple of years,"
This is why I think it would help to know what specific blends the OP is smoking. Maybe I've been unusually lucky, but I don't smoke a single VA -- and I smoke a number of different ones -- or any other blend that bites in any way.
Bob

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I aged a pound of Mac 5100 Red cake for 9 years hoping that it would lose some bite, but no way. It bit me as bad as when fresh. Age will generally have no effect on bite. You need to tell us what blend you are referring to.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
You can try stoving it yourself by placing an unopened tin in a 190 degree oven (plastic off) for 4-5 hours then let it cool before opening

Status
Not open for further replies.